SOLVED Can I turn off windows Defender?

Reaction score
I'm only using ESET Nod32 now having uninstalled MSE.
However within the action centre controls it mentions that both Winders Defender and ESET are running.

Now I'm not having any issues but cannot find a way to actually turn defender off.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As I recall, I entered "Windows Defender" into the Start Menu, there was an option to turn off Defender. The last time that I done this on 7 was a while back, but I believe you can access Defender's options that way.

There are options to uncheck "Use This Program", under the tools or settings of the program. The UAC (if enabled) will ask if this is what you want to do.

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you tried typing it in into the Start Menu? You should find it there.

Cat

Reaction score
Yes, that brings up the program window but no options for stopping/uninstalling it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Open Action Center ... Security ... if it's in the list then see if you can turn it off there.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I believe that you have to open the program, and look under "settings, tools, or options", and uncheck "Use This Program". That was how I recalled it, and I looked it up for you to verify it. Once you uncheck that option, then the UAC will ask permission, hit yes.

That should do it. But you do have to open the program to do it.

Hope it works for you.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Type services.msc in the start box.
Scroll down to Windows Defender.
Double click it and disable it.

I am not in a position to test it, but I think, unfortunately, the action centre , unless you also disable that, will then pop up and tell you defender is off. (I also have the action centre turned off.)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not helpful, simply an observation: I'm amazed ESET isn't smart enough to disable it.

Reaction score
Open Action Center ... Security ... if it's in the list then see if you can turn it off there.
Full circle TM, it was Action Centre that advised me that both ESET and Defender are running but gives me no option to disable defender.

Reaction score
Type services.msc in the start box.
Scroll down to Windows Defender.
Double click it and disable it.

I am not in a position to test it, but I think, unfortunately, the action centre , unless you also siable that, will then pop up and tell you defender is off
I think you may have solved it Dave, I'm doing a re-boot to confirm.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Full circle TM, it was Action Centre that advised me that both ESET and Defender are running but gives me no option to disable defender.
I explained earlier how to disable it, Mychael. You have to open the program by typing it into the Start Menu, then open it, as though you're going to run it. There is a box that you need to uncheck "Use this Program". It's in the settings of the program, go through them carefully.

But Dave's way may be easier, I haven't done it that way. Whatever works, is what counts.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
I explained earlier how to disable it, Mychael. You have to open the program by typing it into the Start Menu, then open it, as though you're going to run it. There is a box that you need to uncheck "Use this Program". It's in the settings of the program, go through them carefully.

But Dave's way may be easier, I haven't done it that way. Whatever works, is what counts.

Best of Luck,
Cat
Yes Cat I know what you explained however it did not work that way I never got that box. Thanks anyway. Daves solution has worked.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I know you're relieved of that program. The only OS that I use it on, as an extra precaution, is XP.

Cat

Reaction score
I've not looked at XP to see what's happening there I only run ESET on my XP machine as well. Next time I boot into XP I'll take a look.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This article mentions how the Tool option can get disabled.
That's basically what I was saying, I looked it up myself, too. I did see in some situations that this option is not available, though. But some of this was not in the research that I did, only the instructions to disable Defender were there.

Cat

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What cat said, but it's under administrator.

Reaction score
I noticed a week back that every bootup, I was presented with Windows Defender has been disabled. Of coarse Windows Defender is disabled, I have MSE running. So why was I receiving this message?

It took a day or two to discover that something had added Windows Defender as a startup entry. One click of the delete entry button in CCleaner and I was good to go. Once again, I have no idea what added it as a startup item.

Ask a Question