SOLVED Live Mail - I Can't Locate Vacation Notice to Turn it Off

Reaction score
I don't recall turning on the Vacation Notice in Windows Live Mail but, nevertheless, it's on. Senders receive an e-mail from my Live account with the subject "Vacation reply" and no text, just my given name.

Where is the control used to turn it off? I can't locate it.

Reaction score
The link instructions direct me to "Select Options | More options... from the Windows Live Hotmail toolbar."

Options is not on my WLM toolbar. Here's my toolbar—

upload_2014-3-2_12-39-14.png

I can locate Options by left clicking on the blue tab to the left of the Home tab. Here are my choices—

upload_2014-3-2_12-43-3.png

Reaction score
(Continued from above.)

My Windows Live Mail must be different from yours.

BTW, thanks for the prompt reply. I became so focused on solving my problem I forgot my manners. (Mother can stop spinning in her grave, now.)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never used WLM myself; I just found that link in a search. I also found a Youtube video about vacation settings but it doesn't look like it matches your screens either.

Can you take a screenshot of the choices when you select Options > Mail

Reaction score
General Tab
upload_2014-3-3_19-56-59.png

Read Tab
upload_2014-3-3_19-59-9.png

Receipts Tab (This should be the one)
upload_2014-3-3_20-2-58.png

I'll send the others if you think any have merit but I paged through them before my OP and didn't find anything relevant to Vacation Notice. I have a friend who oversees WLM for a small company (it's their company standard) and he tells me that WLM doesn't have a Vacation Notice capability.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Reaction score
This is kind of a stretch but here goes.

1. I used to use Microsoft Office Outlook for e-mail, my contacts and my calendar.
2. I purchased a Windows 8 smartphone in order to sync my Outlook and smartphone calendars.
3. To accomplish that I had to open a WLM e-mail account, sync Outlook to WLM and then set my smartphone to automatically sync with WLM.
4. After about a year of this I discontinued my Office Outlook e-mail address and quit using outlook.
5. I stopped the Outlook to WLM sync.
6. I deleted the old e-mail address from Outlook and use WLM exclusively.

I wonder if somewhere in that sequence I inadvertently turned on the Outlook Vacation Notice and it somehow carried over to WLM.

As I wrote, it's a stretch.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well from the links I showed above, at least certain versions do or did have vacation settings at one time. But there is another possibility ...

Where is your email account actually hosted? It is my understanding that WLM allows you to provide your logon and password to any number of various email hosting sites. So if your actual email account is being pulled from, for example, hotmail.com, then try logging in to the hotmail.com servers directly and looking for vacation options there?

Reaction score
You wrote, "Well from the links I showed above, at least certain versions do or did have vacation settings at one time." So I thought that I would go back and study your post and the links you provided.

I watched the woman in the youtube video explain Vacation Notice and saw that she was on a web site www.live.com. Interestingly, my WLM is not Internet based. Mine is software on C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe. (BTW, that is a poor an industrial training or overview video as I have ever seen. Microsoft should be ashamed. I've seen better by Junior High students.)

So I went to www.live.com and Outlook.com opened. I searched and found that Outlook.com had a vacation notice set with my given name as the message. It's exactly as was described to me.

I removed the check and the text.

Evidently WLM software, live.com and outlook.com are all the same interchangeable e-mail address and settings in one affect the other.

Thank you so much for your diligence and perseverance. I never would have looked at live.com.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft recently renamed things to outlook.com so that's why live.com and hotmail.com take you there. I feel like they are just trying to blur the lines between online internet-based email (live.com, outlook.com) and localized software (Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express) but it just makes things confusing.

I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

Reaction score
This is so bizarre! Two weeks ago I marked this thread as solved after changing a check-box in Outlook.com to shut the vacation notice off. I didn't know that it didn't shut off until someone told me. I opened Outlook.com to find this at the bottom of the screen—

I use the dialog box to turn it off but it doesn't "take."

My home is all Windows; desktops, notebooks, tablet and smartphone. Windows gives me angina. I grew tired of struggling with it years ago. I may put them all on Craig's List and buy Apple.

Reaction score
..........I use the dialog box to turn it off but it doesn't "take."............

Do it this way and see if it will stick this time......
Go to Internet > sign in to your Outlook.com > top right, next to your name, click the Gear icon > click More mail settings > left side, under Manage your account, click Sending automate vacation replies > check the dot in front of " Don't send any vacation replies" ( for good measure, erase your vacation message ) > click Save when done.

P.S. Windows Live Mail is part of Windows Essentials. It does not have vacation replies option.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, David. I've done that several times. There's no "SAVE" button so I've tried several ways to save my changes but the only thing that works is the removal of my vacation message.

If I click on the blue box that's labeled "Turn off replies" I receive this–

So your suggested way is the only way I can attempt to do it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sometimes add-ons such as "ad blocker plus" or "no script" can prevent buttons, etc from showing up or functioning, so always try a different browser or a "no add-ons" option if something seems off.

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, David. I've done that several times. There's no "SAVE" button so I've tried several ways to save my changes but the only thing that works is the removal of my vacation message.

If I click on the blue box that's labeled "Turn off replies" I receive this–

So your suggested way is the only way I can attempt to do it.
Yes, I got that message too if I clicked " Turn off replies ".

Reaction score
pmillen,

If you cannot find the Save button......
after you have checked the " Don't send any vacation replies" > erase the vac message > uncheck " Only reply to your contacts " > then press Enter key. Make sure it changes window. If not, press Enter key again until it does. Then go back and make sure " Don't send any vacation replies" is actually selected.
If yes, you are done.

Reaction score
David, you are correct, there is a SAVE button. And it works. I made a page one mistake and did not scroll to look for it. On the other hand, Microsoft could... Oh, well.

Thanks to all of you for your willingness to help.

Ask a Question