Turning on windows features on or off gives me a blank box.

Reaction score
hello,

I have installed windows 7 (64 bit) on my laptop fully knowing that my laptop has 32 bit hardware. I wanted to "Turn on windows features on or off" but I keep getting a blank box. I did a little bit of research and found answers that asked me to run sfc /scannow command from an elevated command prompt and when I do that I get
"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

Now I tried to repair my windows 7 install using the DVD and get this result
"Upgrade was cancelled". Setup cannot continue. Restart the computer and restart setup. When prompted try getting the latest updates."

I have windows 7 running on my desktop and it runs fine and I can "Turn on windows features on or off" and I get a box from which I can select things like IIS and such for it to be installed.

What gives?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi ramanim - Welcome to w7forums

I have installed windows 7 (64 bit) on my laptop fully knowing that my laptop has 32 bit hardware.
This statement is confusing. If you do not have a 64-bit capable computer, you would have never been able to install Windows 64-bit.

Was this a fresh install of Windows 7 or did you opt to do the upgrade from Windows Vista?

The biggest problems I have seen on this forum are from the upgrade path. Especially problems like the one you are experiencing. If I was to go the upgrade path, it would be directly after a system restore on the machine. This will minimize the problems that can occur during installation.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have windows 7 running on my desktop and it runs fine and I can "Turn on windows features on or off" and I get a box from which I can select things like IIS and such for it to be installed.
I suppose that in that case, the computer is also 64bit, but with right hardware?
Am I right?
The bad hardware might be the cause of many problems. Why didn't you install 32bit in the first place?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Let me start from the beginning.

I got the Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit from MSDNAA from my school. I installed the 32 bit on my desktop and the 64 bit on my laptop thinking I will not be doing any processor intensive stuff on my laptop well atleast for now. I thouhgt the installation went fine until I tried to install IIS on my laptop. I could not do it. Does this make sense now?

With MSDNAA Windows7 32 and 64- bit was downloaded from the schools website on to my laptop.

Again, thnks for the reply.

Reaction score
So you installed IIS to your desktop which is 32-Bit and now you are trying to install IIS to your laptop which is 64-Bit?

Which version is IIS?
You might have better luck installing software if you disable UAC temporarily(only during installation - however I made it permanent on my machine). I have heard recommendations to temporarily disabling anti-malware programs as well (I just recently started using anti-malware).

Reaction score
It is possible something has gone wrong with the 64-bit copy of Windows. You could try downloading the 64-bit version again.

Ask a Question