Windows Update Setting Turns Off

Reaction score
Sorry if this problem has already been addressed - but I did search for a solution

I'm running 7 Home Edition 64bit.

Every once in awhile, after bootup, I get a notification in the taskbar that Windows Update is turned off, so I turn it back on. A later bootup will produce the same result - but not always.

I suspected malware so ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware with nothing suspicious found.

Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate your input.

Lunsfordc

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. Make sure Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is updated. Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

If it isn't a virus, have you turned off any services or installed programs that control services? I know there is at least one service that has to be running for update to work. You might try running this Microsoft Fix-it

Reaction score
Trainableman,

Thanks for your suggestions. I followed your advice, booted up in Safe Mode and ran TDSSKiller, then RKill, then SuperantiSpyware (and to be sure, then Malwarebytes). Nothing out of the ordinary showed up.

So then I ran the Microsoft Fix-It and on completion it said "Repaired Windows Update Components". I've booted and rebooted several times and the setting seems to be staying in place, so I guess that's fixed the problem.

Will continue to monitor and will report back should fail again.

Thanks once again for your help.

Lunsfordc

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sounds good. I will go ahead and mark this solved but if it comes back then post back and we can look for something else.

Reaction score
Trainable,

Looks like I spoke too soon. It's back with a vengeance and seems to be showing up with each bootup. I ran through your suggested procedures again (and again) but not resolving the issue.

Any more thoughts?

Appreciate your (and any others) input,
Lunsfordc

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you "tweaked" any windows services? or do you run any programs that disable services (such as gamebooster or TuneUp Utilities)? There is at least one service needed for windows updates to run and often times services can depend on others.

Reaction score
Trainable,

I haven't tweaked anything specifically, but I do run Advanced System Care occasionally. However, I usually untick the Registry Clean option, and I don't have the Turbo Boost activated.

Is there an option to return all services to their default?

Lunsfordc

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is there an option to return all services to their default?
If you mean inside "Advanced SystemCare" then I don't know (THIS seems to indicate it might be possible); if you mean in the W7 OS then "no, not really, other than a reinstall". Does your version of Advanced SystemCare offer something they call "Deep Care" because it looks like that might have turned off some services (reference).

I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest, even if you uninstall Advanced SystemCare it likely doesn't reset any changes it made so you need to look inside the product for a way to restore settings.

Other than that I don't know what else to tell you. Hopefully someone else comes along with an idea.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I did a little more looking at my services and you might want to make sure yours are set like this:

windows event log service (EventLog) should be set on "automatic"
windows update service (wuauserv) should be set on "automatic delayed"

From what I read, supposedly it may also be dependent on
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
but mine is set on "Manual" and I can still get updates so maybe don't worry about that one.

Reaction score
Trainable,

I do appreciate your continued help.

My services are set exactly as yours.

So, I guess I'll learn to live with the situation and turn the setting back on whenever it's turned off. It doesn't appear to be affecting anything else and I'm fairly sure there isn't a malware lurking around.

So again, thanks for all your help.
Lunsfordc

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You say it only happens every once in a while ... unfortunately, intermittent problems are often the hardest to resolve.

I suppose it could be an issue with something in your registry. If it is then a complete reinstall would be the best solution but that is a lot of work for a "possibility".

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Ask a Question