Word problem. How do I overlay objects.

Reaction score
I went to Word Help to look for this, but I can never seem to get specific answers. I'm working on a new card game and I'm trying my damnedest to work with shapes and images in a Word doc. Now, the images need to be placed on the shapes. The illustrations have no text associated with them, but the rules are contained within paragraphs between the illos. I need to place the images separately, but I've grouped the shapes. Problem is, everything keeps moving on me. I put a bit more text in and it interferes with my other placements. That I can handle. What vexing the tar out of me are two things:

First, often when I paste anything but text, it ends up somewhere besides where I've indicated (and I make sure I left click the position before the paste.

Second, when I move my images over a shape, it jumps out of place and won't stay where I put it. Btw, it's Word 2007.

There was somethin' else...

I remember!, I see where one can insert a page, but how do change the page order? Who comes up with their cover before the work? I need a cover in the proper position to convert this to pdf.

Last edited:
Reaction score
C'mon guys. I'm a pit bull when it comes to these things and this is just frustrating the snot out of me!

Reaction score
Not sure if this will actually help but you might try opening a new word document and fill the page with blank lines (use single line spacing as this will allow for better placement of images and text and if you use the space bar to fill the doc with blank spaces instead of blank lines you can even be a bit more specific but you'll need to choose one or the other as extra pages may be created as a result). Insert your images and consider using text box containers for your text and see if you can move them about the page as you desire.
Make sure you don't have any preset tabs as this will impact placement.
Adding pages or changing page order is equally as clumsy in Word as the document is established as work flow. So....
Same deal, add a new page or create another document with a blank page full of empty spaces. Use your mouse to select all of the empty contents of the new page and right click and copy (or Ctrl +C) then click at the beginning of the text on your first page and right click and paste (or Ctrl +V) that should give you a new blank page at the beginning of your document for a cover sheet or ToC or whatever. You'll need to delete un-needed blank lines before you begin typing or else you'll end up with a second page at the start of the document.
Just a couple thoughts that may help.

Last edited:

Ask a Question