administration password problems

Reaction score
I have had a home network forever - alwyas between two computers and never had a problem. I had set up a network with a windows 7 and windows XP and it was going along fine then last year at some time my window XP pc started to have issues communicating with my 7 computer.
checked everything had remote session with NAV and foudn all setting correct
so I went into every darn file (on windows 7) I wanted to share and reset permissions and viola I have a home network agian. Not really sure why it ever stopped working. (hours and hours of PIA)

NOW I cannot access my own files on my own computer the windows 7 to upload to my own web sites/facebook/or any other web domains

I have been reading forums and I can not undersatnd the solutions

I am frustrated to say the least.

I am able to stick all pertinant info into my "pictures" file on the windows 7 conputer and I can do whatever I want but I cannot access anything in the other files

why is this sooooo messed up?? why is it not in a form or set of guidance for a user to manage their own computer??

I ahve been on cnet, MS and several other forums reading away and trying and I am plumb tired the only solution I can seee to end this madness is to transfer all my files ot pictures then I can be fine.

P.S. i am not a geek at all my brother is and he set this up both copmuters but i can take direction.

he and I worked on this and he too is stumped - next step we do remote access I wanted to see if I could manage he has moved out of state so i need to be independant. :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK I'm a bit confused. You mention a network but then you say you can't access your own files on your own W7 machine; so are you on the W7 machine or are you trying to access them from the XP machine? Your title says "administration password problems" but you make no mention of it asking for a password ... ? The more detail you provide, the better. Screenshots of error messages etc are also extremely helpful.

W7 attempts to protect users from themselves, the mean cruel world, and other users of the computer. For this reason some files/folders are protected. For example Windows OS files and Program Files are protected so you don't accidentally delete/move stuff and viruses find it harder to get in. And user files are protected from the other users who may use the machine (W7 is designed to allow multiple users on one machine). To do this last item, the data is stored under C:\Users\ and split out under each userid but the C:\Users folder is then protected and access is granted only via Library pointers to the logged on users data. If you want items to be shared among users the system is designed so you can store data in "public" folders. External drives hanging off a W7 machine also seem to get these user permissions applied.

So we need to know where the files are that you are trying to access and are you trying to access them while logged onto the W7 machine or via network from the XP machine?

I'm not a network expert but so far I'm not even clear the issue is across the network or just a W7 protection issue.

BTW: You can install a little script called "Take Ownership" that will grant the administrator access to any folder on a W7 machine but this is for the logged-on user, not a network user. You can download it from our Freeware DB.

Ask a Question