Winzip Update

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Does anyone use that in W7 since they incorporated zip handling into the OS?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone use that in W7 since they incorporated zip handling into the OS?
I use a separate compression tool because of the advanced features - spanning disks, recovery records etc... The Windows 7 one is good for 90% of people, but I still like to have some of the extra goodies :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes we have several utilities in the freeware database to handle file compression and I personally use a retail product but they also handle the rar compression algorithm and several others; I believe the last time I ever used winzip it couldn't handle rar files making it relatively obsolete.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I prefer to WinRAR v3.63 x64 edition. It's used by the majority of users dealing with compressing and decompressing files, folders, etc. It's really fast too in the x64 edition.

I highly recommend it! Two Thumbs Up! :top::top:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I prefer to WinRAR v3.63 x64 edition. It's used by the majority of users dealing with compressing and decompressing files, folders, etc. It's really fast too in the x64 edition.

I highly recommend it! Two Thumbs Up! :top::top:
Yep, that's the one I use :). The GUI hasn't changed for years, but it's fast and has all the features that I need.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
7-Zip is my preferred app..

I did check the update data base to see if a 'Win zip' thread was present but if there is I couldn't find it.
It seems I don't have permission to create threads in that section.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one I use :). The GUI hasn't changed for years, but it's fast and has all the features that I need.
That's one of the facts I like about it is the GUI is still the same. Plus the WinRAR algorithm is absolutely the best there is. It will handle formats that no other can.

At least I've yet to find one it can't decompress, unless we're talking Mac formats, but we're not.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
7-Zip is my preferred app. ...
It seems I don't have permission to create threads in that section.
For the most part we try to keep the freeware database to products we the members use and recommend, as you yourself said you use 7-zip and that IS in the list.

Winzip is not because no one ever suggested it. I didn't realize it was even around since I hadn't heard of it in ages.

The freeware database is administered by the Mods but you can post your suggestions in the suggestions thread. Please make them items you/your family use personally and would recommend to others. You may also comment on others suggested there and for items that have already made the list you can post under their respective thread (which I know you have already on ccleaner for instance).

Reaction score
I use Winzip, used it for years i used to use winrar but peferred winzip in the end.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bugsy, has it ever been updated to handle rar files?

Reaction score
Bugsy, has it ever been updated to handle rar files?
Seems to handle them fine, but i haven't had alot rar file's, but never had a problem with them.

didn't know there was an issue with that :confused:

To be honest i dont even know its there, if i download or recieve winrar file or winzip files i just extract, thats it done i dont even use any of the fancy settings in winzip, the interface is quite cool but other that... :)

its a paid program that i wouldn't of had to buy if they had the alternatives out there like the one cliffford mention back then.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
its a paid program that i wouldn't of had to buy if they had the alternatives out there like the one cliffford mention back then.
Oh that's right it's not free, though I think it used to work forever and just nag you, but it can't be in the freeware database because it's officially paid software, same with my software of choice winrar..

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
For the most part we try to keep the freeware database to products we the members use and recommend, as you yourself said you use 7-zip and that IS in the list.
I always try to post to the I.T. fraternity 'as a whole' but also do understand this is a different forum with different rules.

My last intention is to tred on anyones toes...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You aren't treading on any toes but it not being freeware instantly rules it out for that thread.

As a member here, if you have free software you like that isn't on the list, by all means recommend it; as I said for that thread we just prefer it be software you have direct knowledge of. There are tons of freeware apps that are useless or perform a small portion of what a product like ccleaner will; so I wouldn't recommend them. I haven't had much sleep but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah don't worry Ross, you're not treading on any toes :). Good to have you on the forum!

Like TM said, it's the freeware part that would rule the app out - even though it's still really handy. We had to make it so that members can't add to it manually as we were getting lots of spammers adding tools to the software forum (namely "optimisation" software, disk managers and music/video conversion tools) - so it became a moderated section. If there's any particularly good freeware missing from the list, just post a recommendation in this thread (link). It's not meant to be an exhaustive list of freeware, but a pick of some of the top essential items :)

Ask a Question