WinXP SP3 Crashed

Reaction score
My wife has an old IBM ThinkPad R51 1830 laptop running WinXP SP3. When she was getting ready to turn off her laptop last night, a message popped up and said that Windows wanted to install an update, so she let it complete the installation before she logged off.

Today when she tried to log on, there is no display and it won't boot to the desktop, so that she can try to run a diagnostic. It starts to flash the IBM ThinkPad logo for a few seconds, then shuts off again.

We finally got it to come up for a few minutes, but then it displayed a blue screen with the following error message ... "DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Also, this information ... STOP: 0x000000D1(0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x895DC0F7)

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update ..

I pressed F1 and was able to restart the BIOS and restore its default settings, so at least for the time being, it seems to have worked and the laptop is working again.

Whatever the MS update was, it nearly destroyed my wife's laptop after it completed installing.

For now, the problem seems to be resolved.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That update probably required a restart which means it's necessary to reboot and let the update finish configuring itself before she logged off and then shutdown.

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru. I was able to get to the BIOS settings and reset them to their default values, which then brought my wife's laptop back to the desktop and it seems to be doing fine now. I hadn't considered that the update hadn't finished configuring itself, as she just turned off her laptop and went to bed, so I didn't think anything of it until she turned it on today. My wife said that in the future she will let me take a look at any future update messages she receives, before she shuts off her laptop.

Appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned that is because I had the same update yesterday myself and it required the reboot.

It did a "configuring update" during the shutdown process and the again during the bootup process prior to the "Welcome" window.

Reaction score
0xD1 stops mean that there is a bad driver on the system.

You can post the crash dumps if you want. They're in C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy/paste them to another folder. Zip them then attach.

MS updates do not cause bsod. The state of the machine however, while being updated, does (the driver).

Ask a Question