WinXP Mode Setup error

Reaction score
Windows-7 Prof 64-bit
8GB Mem
Tons of disk space

Hopefully someone can help. I had Win-XP Virtual Mode installed for quite a while. I thought I didn't need it installed any longer so I uninstalled it thru add/rem program.

I found that I needed it for a couple of older programs so I went to re-install Win-XP Mode this AM when during install at the "Windows XP Mode Setup" -> Start Setup" I receive an error window with the message "The specified path is invalid." and the program closes and setup is never completed.

Anyone know what's going on & how to correct it?

I did check knowledgebase articles and did delete what it was referring to but to no avail.

Reaction score
Hi Jimrx4,

Try the steps below

To download and install Windows XP Mode

1. Go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC website, and then click Get Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC now.
  2. Under Select your edition of Windows 7 and desired language for installation, click the Select system drop-down list, and then click the edition of Windows 7 you're currently running.
  3. To find out which edition of Windows 7 you're running, click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Properties. The edition of Windows 7 you're running is listed under Windows edition (and 32-bit and 64-bit information appears under System, next to System type).
  4. Click the Select language drop-down list, and then click the language you want to use.
  5. Under Download and install Windows XP Mode, in step 2, under Windows XP Mode, click Download.
  6. To install Windows XP Mode immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen. To install Windows XP Mode later, click Save and download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install Windows XP Mode, double-click the file.
  7. We recommend clicking Save and keeping the file on your computer in case you ever need to reinstall Windows XP Mode.
  8. In the Welcome to Setup for Windows XP Mode dialog box, click Next.
  9. Choose the location for the virtual hard disk file that Windows XP Mode uses, or accept the default location, and then click Next.
  10. On the Setup Completed screen, click Finish.

To download and install Windows Virtual PC

1. Go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC website, and then click Get Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC now.
  2. Under Select your edition of Windows 7 and desired language for installation, click the Select system drop-down list, and then click the edition of Windows 7 you're currently running.
    • To find out which edition of Windows 7 you're running, click the Start button
      , right-click Computer, and then click Properties. The edition of Windows 7 you're running is listed under Windows edition (and 32-bit and 64-bit information appears under System, next to System type).
  3. Click the Select language drop-down list, and then click the language you want to use.
  4. Under Download and install Windows XP Mode, in step 3, under Windows Virtual PC, click Download.
  5. To install Windows Virtual PC immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen. To install Windows Virtual PC later, click Save and download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install Windows Virtual PC, double-click the file.
  6. Click Yes to install Update for Windows (KB958559).
  7. If you accept the license terms, click I Accept.
  8. After installation is complete, click Restart Now to restart your computer

For more details visit this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Last edited:
Reaction score
How did you reinstall windows XP setup mode ? Did you download it from Microsoft ?

Reaction score
No help. This is a repeat of the instructions I used to originally set up Windows XP Mode successfully. (I even refreshed my files from MS d/l site). Right after I input the password under XPM User and click next then click setup I get the error window "The specified path is invalid."

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
These are all "thoughts" rather than promises of a solution...

The Virtual PC should be located in C:\USERS\[YourLogin}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC. I would probably make sure that Windows Virtual PC folder has been deleted from the past uninstall.

The first installation may still have entries in the registry; you might try running CCleaner on the registry (even CCleaner might not be set up to find XP mode entries though).

Another possibility, have you changed your system at all, like added dual-boot, moved Drive letters or moved your data files to a new HD? It's mainly a question to you and I'm not sure it would matter but if so, maybe you can change it back and try then.

Ask a Question