Windows won't start up

Reaction score
I was using my computer normally, when suddenly my skype call stopped. I tried opening the task manager but it didn't work. After a little while my computer says to me that the process windows had stopped working I could either wait for it to respond or to close it, I closed the process, all the programs that were running didn't stop but I couldn't change windows or lock my computer or open the task manager. I tried then to shut down the computer( I use a notebook). When I decided to turn it on again right before the screen when you put your username and password the computer wouldn't respond. I tried shuting it down again and then turning it on with no better results. Right now my computer takes about 10 minutes to go further than the "Starting Windows" screen, it stops right after the mouse appears and I can't do anything more. The more I tried to shut it down and turn it on, the more it took to go past the "Starting Windows" screen. I tried to turn it on with and without my mouse and the external cooler. Oddly enough my mousepad that would not accept the click command just by pressing it seemed fixed. Windows tried to use the startup fixer and this was the result:
Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

View problem details:

startuprepairoffline
problem signature 01 0.0.0.0
problem signature 02 0.0.0.0
problem signature 03 unknown
problem signature 04 0
problem signature 05 unknown
problem signature 06 1
problem signature 07 unknown
os version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
locale ID 1033

It took about 10 minutes before it. I tried starting it up in safe mode. I have no safe point for me to use the computer old settings to try starting it up. I tried to startup the computer on safe mode and it get stuck when it comes to the atipcie.sys, it doesn't go further.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well since you mention the ATI driver I suggest you boot into safe mode and uninstall your video drivers.

It is quite possible your video drivers were updated by Windows Update if you have it set to "treat recommended updates the same as critical updates"; personally I recommend disabling that setting and running Windows Update manually on occasion to pick up any "recommended" that are appropriate.
WinUpdateSettings.jpg

Also just to be sure, while in safe mode I would run a virus scan as explained at the start of my post HERE.

If you are then able to boot safely then download the latest video drivers for your machine but the Catalyst Control Center causes trouble for same computers so try installing "drivers only", no CCC.

BTW: If you can't even get that far then put in a W7 DVD and boot to that. There is a repair feature in the bottom corner of the installation menu. If you do not have a W7 DVD then use another computer to download and burn one for your specific bit-size and version. See HERE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried booting in safe mode but it got stuck when he tries to load atipcie.sys. About the updates - Windows cannot install any update unless I let them happen, I believe, being them important or not. I may try the last one I am just avoiding having any sort of loss of my files. Will it somehow make me loss anything?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you use the repair feature it is only replacing the windows OS files, so no you won't loose any data from the repair.

Last edited:

Ask a Question