Windows 7 won't accept password and won't let me restart.

Reaction score
Last night my HP Laptop started installing new updates and I shut it down when it was finished. This morning when I turned it on it won't accept my password which I know is correct and it won't let me restart or shutdown. Anyone have any idea what is wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You should have done a restart after the updates were completed, not shutting down the computer. That is probably your issue. Although I don't that should significantly affect the OS.

Have you had any success since the last post?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Last night my HP Laptop started installing new updates and I shut it down when it was finished. This morning when I turned it on it won't accept my password which I know is correct and it won't let me restart or shutdown. Anyone have any idea what is wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
What update exactly were you trying to install? If you can remember

Reaction score
All fixed.

I managed to get it back to normal. I'm not good at the tech stuff. I took out my battery and put it back in. After that I was able to get it to safe mode. I went into recovery and went back to a restore point. After that it accepted my password and everything seems back to normal. I did a virus scan with McAfee and ran Malwarebytes and they both found nothing. I'm honestly not sure what the installs were. I was working and it said windows was installing updates. Thanks for your response!

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just make sure that you do a proper reboot to initialize the changes with the updates on every Windows update, especially if they contain updates from the Microsoft server.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Do not have Windows update set to the Install update automatically (recommended) setting. Then you can veto any updates it wants to install.

I have "Never check for updates (not recommended)" as my setting. I know that Windows releases its main updates on the second Tuesday of every month, and, apart from that, it takes a few seconds to initiate Windows Update to see if it's offering anything. At the maximum setting I would suggest "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

The way I look at it is, would you leave your door open for anybody to walk in, or do you bolt it so you can check who walks in?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Do not have Windows update set to the Install update automatically (recommended) setting. Then you can veto any updates it wants to install.

I have "Never check for updates (not recommended)" as my setting. I know that Windows releases its main updates on the second Tuesday of every month, and, apart from that, it takes a few seconds to initiate Windows Update to see if it's offering anything. At the maximum setting I would suggest "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

The way I look at it is, would you leave your door open for anybody to walk in, or do you bolt it so you can check who walks in?
That's exactly my thoughts, I check for the installs that I want on my system, I have mine set to the same option as yours

Ask a Question