Windows won't start in new computer build

Reaction score
I just finished a new computer build. I installed a new motherboard, CPU, GPU and power supply. I used the hard drive from my old computer with Windows 7 installed. When I started the new computer I got a message saying "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be the cause."
I was given 2 choices, Run Windows Repair, and Start Normally. With start normally, I got the Windows screen, the little colored lights started to revolve and then I got the same message as above. I ran Windows Repair and it said problem couldn't be repaired. I put the hard drive back in my old computer and I got the same message, but when I clicked start normally, it started right up and Windows runs fine. Any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you have the full version of W7 (not an OEM or upgrade version) it cannot legally be moved because the licensing is tied to the original motherboard. Likely W7 has detected the different MOBO and doesn't like it.

If this is the Full version then I would try putting the hard drive in the new machine and then try booting to the W7 DVD. If it still will not finish booting, do an install over the existing installation; no data will be lost but you will have to then reinstall all your programs.

Reaction score
When you build PC, you can not move the existing HDD from another PC to the NEW BUILD and expect it to work. As TrainableMan has stated, it's a MS OEM issue...meaning that the OS is permanently tied to that mobo/cpu (hardware).

So the bottom line is with a new build or major hardware change (mobo/cpu) a clean install is required using a retail copy(meaning you and uninstall/install as you like on any system), which is why it cost twice as much as the OEM version.

Ask a Question