Windows 7 Home Premium Won't Start Install

Reaction score
Hi, I have tried looking for my issue online and trouble shooting on my own but I am at a loss, can you guys help me?

So, I am trying to install Windows Home Premium 64-bit on my HP Pavilion dv6700 (More specifically a dv6894ca). The issue I am running into is that when I put in the disc and restart the laptop the computer doesn't want to start loading the disc. It sits there whirring and such but the screen just stays blank with a flashing _ courser at the top left of the screen.

I have tried both the 32-bit version and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and both run into the same problem. I can install Windows XP on the system so I know the DVD and hard drives are good.

I am quite certain it is a driver issue (I read something about a AHCI or something) I was thinking about updating the BIOS but it has on the HP site a number of different BIOS's for my model and in order to choose the right one I need to know my exact CPU without Windows (XP is no longer installed and I cannot remember who I lent the CD too). \

Where should I go from here? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
BIOS is not a driver and won't likely fix your issue. And if it is a driver issue the installation will usually tell you a driver is needed (although if it doesn't see the DVD-Rom at all I suppose it might not realize there is a problem because having a DVD-Rom is not mandatory).

What OS is on the computer currently? If you have a working OS then boot up to that first, then simply put in one of the Installation DVDs and see if you can see the files/folders on there. If you cannot then I suspect your DVD-Rom is broken and needs replaced.

Do you have a 4GB or larger flash drive that you can completely erase? If so then consider creating a Bootable W7 H.P. 64-bit Installation Flash Drive and installing from that. You can download the W7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit Installation ISO from HERE and use the USB/DVD Download tool to make a bootable flash drive instead of a DVD. Once installed you could search for the DVD drivers you need (as long as your LAN driver works to allow you to connect to the internet)

Reaction score
The DVD Drive does work that's the issue. As I mentioned above I can install Windows XP on the system (The DVD recognizes it). I know it is also not the CD as I installed a new copy on my Grandmothers computer the other week after first attempting to install it on the laptop.

And no there is nothing on the hard drive at the moment, it has been wiped clean. I also tried another Hard drive in the system and ran in to the same issue.

I would like to try the Flash install but I do not have a 4GB stick, only a 2GB one. Could I use an external USB hard drive? I looked in the boot order list in the BIOS and it has the option.

Reaction score
Oh, I have never done this before or even know if I can do it; but I have access to a SATA/IDE - USB Adapter. Could I install the OS on to it using my desktop and then just put the hard drive into the laptop or would that just create massive headaches if it can be done at all. I would like to know because my brother has the adapter at the moment and would take a bit to get.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you could use an external hard drive like a flash drive or not. And if your external hard drive case connects via usb then it has a sata to usb converter already, it's just built into the case, so that would be the same situation.

You know the DVD-Rom is good but do you know the W7 Installation DVDs are good? Have you tried them on another machine? Did you buy the Home Premium DVDs or burn them? If you burned them then it's possible they aren't "Bootable".

And you ask, could you move the hard drive to your desktop, install the OS, and then move the hard drive back to your laptop? The answer is "probably, but with a few issues". The issues would be the different drivers so there would be some updating when you move it back. And don't do this with an OEM version of the software because it becomes tied to the motherboard legally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know the DVDs are good and they are Retail versions (Family edition) And yes they are the offical ones and not burned. Bought them in the store.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know what else to tell you. You can probably get the drivers for the DVD-Rom drive from HP then install them from a DOS prompt during the install and see if that works.

Or try your idea of putting the drive in your other computer and installing it there.

At this point I'd say try all your ideas.

Ask a Question