Windows start up problem

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My girlfriend has a problem with her laptop. She turned on her laptop this morning and it went straight to the "Windows Error Recovery" window and it does not matter what option i choose ("Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally") it either restarts it self and goes to the same window or just does not load at all. I tried going to safe mode and the same thing happened: the laptop was loading all of the files and it suddenly went to a dark screen and then restarted it self and the "Windows Error Recovery" window popped up again. Since I was not able to turn it on in a safe mode and do a system restore I do not know what to do. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Laptop specs:
Acer Aspire 5749Z
Intel B960 processor
Intel HD graphics
4GB DDR3 memory
640GB HDD

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most likely possibility is either a hardware problem or a virus.

Using a separate computer I suggest you make a bootable CD of Windows Defender Offline and then boot her laptop to that CD and run a virus scan. Post the results of the virus scan.

Reaction score
Will it be able to run the CD? She had her laptop fixed recently and the guy that fixed the laptop said that her HDD will meet it's end soon so I think it might be the HDD dying and windows can not load properly. BUT, she said that her antivirus kept popping out (Malvare Antibite or something like that) saying that her computer is in danger but she did not do anything about it. Should I still try to make a bootable CD and run the antivirus?

Reaction score
I tried what you said using an USB stick and the Defender did not run. It gave me an error saying: "This app can't be started. Error: Unable to detect a Windows system drive. This could be due to missing drivers, an encrypted drive, or a corrupted Windows installation. Error code: 0x8004cc01". I assume that the HDD is no longer properly functional and therefore I am getting this error. Is that correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well you said that it "started" loading drivers in safe mode and it had to get those from somewhere so that is why I didn't believe the hard drive was completely gone but yes, a failing or failed hard drive was one of my stronger suspicions.

Hopefully you have the product key so that you can reinstall W7 after you replace the hard drive.

Ask a Question