SOLVED Windows failed to start

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Lenovo thinkpad p70 w/downgraded version of 7pro, the prod key is embedded in bios. Pc began acting up w/bsod's after normal shutdown/forced shutdown or from win updates shutdown/restart. I replaced hdd w/ssd thinking that might fix problem, uh, no change.
On boot-up I get "windows boot manager, windows failed to start"
info: boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible
pressing esc (exit) same error reappears, pressing esc again I get
file: \EFI\Microsoft\boot\BCD
info: an error occurred while attempting to read BCD. Pressing esc takes me to boot menu/app menu (Diagnostic splash screen w/shows cpu, ram, cache, sts bios, viseo bios, bios ver, fixed disks (it shows 2 drives, ssd/hdd) only one is installed, and Lenovo diagnostics, I've been through diagnostics passes w/flying colors?
With prod key being embedded in bios I'm unable use it for whatever reason.

I've been to "how-to-geek" and downloaded several apps thru this link. Now I'm waiting for my usb's to arrive 5/28, ordered 5/26.
I'm using my sisters laptop right now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You mentioned 2 drives, only one of which is installed. My best guess is one hard drive went bad

Reaction score
I finally removed the hdd and left ssd . windows was trying to grab boot info from both drives, which, probably lead to the boot failures. My lenovo is finally running like a champ, upgraded memory from 8gb to 32gb. Now it's fast and stable. Problem solved.

Ask a Question