SOLVED Windows Security Centre-stopped

Reaction score
Action Centre flags up a problem, namely, "The Windows Security Centre service is turned off"
There is an option to turn the service on but this provokes no response. Going into Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services shows that the 'Service' is set to 'automatic' but has stopped. All attempts to start it produces the following error message.

"Windows could not start the Security Centre service on Local Computer - Error 5: Access is denied"

I have spent many hours on this one and although others have the same problem there seems to be no easy solution..

The popular remedies have been tried e.g. System Restore; SFC /Scannow; Closing the service and re-starting: All failed.

I have turned off the Action Centre feature in the meantime but I would like to solve this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A search of the Microsoft Website found this forum entry you might try (Personally I would start at option 2 and start again at 1 if option 2 fails):

maglib wrote:
Not 100% sure how I finally got it to work but, it is working:
1.I deleted AVG and SpyBot.​
2. I ran Services.msc as administrator and did the following (note that it wasn't 100% logical as I just tried things and sadly didn't reboot after every one):​
a. Chose Remote Registry, clicked Log On tab and in the account text box, typed NT AUTHORITY\LocalService and deleted both passwords and hit apply (new passwords automatically filled in). I then rebooted.​
b. Did same as 2a but this time I did it to SecurityCenter Log On tab. Note that when i chose this I got an error message still that said "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device." I hit OK and still changed the Log On. I then rebooted.​
c. I ran Services.msc as administrator 1 more time and started a number of things like Windows Installer and other things that were listed as not running. Yes I was just randomly starting things based on things that sounded like they may have some impact and all I did was hit start without changing how they run..... Well after starting a number that weren't on I was able to turn on Security Center. Don't know why at all. I did a reboot and it still worked. I still have the error message of 2b but at least it's working.​
If you have any idea what made this work or can actually get your to work please let me know as I was just desperately trying out things without intermittent checks. At least it's working.​
Good Luck.​

Reaction score
I am grateful for the help but alas the suggestions on the posting did not work, I had already tried these earlier but thought I would have another go. Back to the Drawing Board I guess!, It really is a very intransigent problem and I would have thought that Microsoft would provide the answer but as always they had no reference on their KB.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
What different software have you tried to scan for malware with? This sounds like something an infection could do.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Error 5 says your id does not have enough permissions to that service:

When you add a user through Group Policy Editor in the System Service Security Policy, the default permissions are start, stop, and pause.

This behavior occurs because you need the following permissions to open the properties of a service, and to stop, start, or pause a service:
  • Read
  • Stop, Start, and Pause
To resolve this issue, reapply the policy and give the user the correct permissions.

Then start the service.

Reaction score
Have just completed another full scan of my computer using MSE and MalwareBytes and no 'nasties' were found.
'TrainableMan', you have lost me with " Group Policy Editor in the System Service Security Policy" I am running Windows 7 Home and I don't think the GPE is available to me and equally I cannot find access to SSSP. I am the sole user of the compiuter and I have UAC turned off and do not sign on with a password. This is the way I have always done it and have not had any problems.If I need to re-set 'permissions' please further advise with a bit more detail.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have a look at the dependencies.
Windows management instrumentation should be on "Automatic" . Remote Procedure call should also be on "Automatic".
If they are OK, put the security service on "Automatic delayed start" and reboot. Go into the services again and change it back to "Automatic" and "Start" it.

Reaction score
Thanks 'davehc', have just carried out your suggestion but it did not work the service did not start. I think unless I find out what caused it to stop I am going to find it very hard to solve this one. In the meantime my computer is working 'normally' and maybe this service is not crucial.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
FWIW, It is the first service I turn off, after a reinstall!
If the thread suggestions have not worked, Try disabling any antivirus/security programs you have, apart from MSE. (Mcafee and Norton are both a threat in this type of error.) Also, turn off any third party firewalls. (Zone Alarm - another trouble maker?)
Otherwise, it sure looks like a virus attack. Perhaps you antivirus has already isolated it, but the damage has been done.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct, you do not have Group Policy Editor in Premium. Which means the registry would have to be tweaked by hand.

If I am right, basically your login doesn't have the proper access to this services registry area for you to start it.

The following is an example of what I believe needs done, but at this time I do not know to which part of the registry this needs to be applied ...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...p-from-navigation-pane-of-windows-7-explorer/
I suspect it is this section: E9495B87-D950-4ab5-87A5-FF6D70BF3E90 but I don't know for certain (I did a registry search for Security Center (USA spelling) and found that).

Reaction score
TrainableMan you are leading me into very 'long grass' if not 'thick jungle'. I don't think I want to go there.
On reflection and before finally giving up on this there might be another approach to be tried. I have another computer with the same OS and the WSCS works perfectly on it. If I could identify the registry entries and/or any system32 files associated with the faulty 'service' then it would be possible to copy them to to the problem area.
It is only a thought. I know that at the end of the day a re-install would solve the problem but this is a fresh install of Windows 7 and after two months I have finally managed to get it the way I want it, so this is not an option that I want to consider. A repair install is also a possibility but it might not be thorough enough to cure the problem

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How about trying a restore. Control Panel \ Backup & Restore - "Recover System Settings or your computer" - "Open System Restore".

Reaction score
First thing I thought about but I tend to clear my restore points on a weekly basis and this problem has been around for longer than that. I keep thinking this problem is like have an electrical appliance plucked in to a socket with an ON/OFF switch (stop/start) clicking the switch to 'On' still leaves the appliance 'dead'. This is the easiest way to think of the problem the switch in this case is the Stop/Start option on the Services 'Properties' page which is stuck on 'Off'.
You must be up very early?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm a nightowl. I haven't been to bed yet, I just got back from breakfast.

Reaction score
Good news , as a last resort I discovered I had an Acronis Drive Image dated 7th. July, so after backing up everything I restored the 'image' and there was no trace of the problem. I could start and stop the service as and when I liked. I have now updated all my data e-mails etc from the backup I made and have brought Windows up to date as well.
I will now be watching everyhting I do for a week or two and constantly checking that the 'service' is runnng normally. If it does happen again then I might be able to pinpoint the culprit.
I am so garateful for the support and sugestions I have received I only wish there had been a more definitve and intellegent resolution, still I am pleased to be back to normal

I shall now mark this thread as resolved.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thank god for Acronis!! (And some of the other image programs, of course)

Reaction score
I normally zap drive images after about a week but this has taught me a lesson and I will now allocate more drive space on my ext. drive and keep the images for a month at least. I think Acronis is a 'must have' program.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would find Acronis's incremental updates a little of a nuisance. What I do is
1. Install the OS, whichever that may be. When it is up and running, I allow it to automatically update, reboot and, sure enough, it then has more updates which I also allow. I then make an Acronis image. (You can install Acronis, and run it from the HD, or make a bootable DVD)
2. I then customise the OS to my liking - personal reuirements come with practise - and then overwrite the first image.
3. Last is to install all of my software, all previously used and known to be reliable. I customise the whole lot. I then make another image.

Those two images, may seem a lot of work, but, my god, they save a lot of brainstorms later! Downside, if you can call it that, is that you have to sit at the computer for the best part of a day to achieve this.

Reaction score
I do more or less the same I keep two permanent images one for a fresh install and the other after my main programs are loaded and my tweaking is completed. Thereafter I create two images per week (1 on Wed. and 1 on Sun.) these are the ones I use when I am in deep ****. The main two images I use if I need to re-install.
I have been using Acronis now for nearly eight years.

Reaction score
Security Center service cannot start on Windows 7: Error 5 Access Denied

Here is how I fixed the above problem.

Download & Run > Remove Fake Antivirus.
When finished run your normal AV, reboot & then go to Administrative Tools > Services > Security Center, double click on the file, select > Automatic (delayed start) & then click on > Start > Apply > OK.
Remove Fake Antivirus
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Remove-Fake-Antivirus.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Remove-Fake-Antivirus-Screenshot-127588.html
http://freeofvirus.blogspot.com/
http://freeofvirus.blogspot.com/2009/05/remove-fake-antivirus-10.html

Ask a Question