Microsoft tells Windows 7 users to uninstall faulty security update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Full details at the link: http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-7-users-to-uninstall-faulty-security-update/

"We’ve determined that the update, when paired with certain third-party software, can cause system errors," Childs wrote. "As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports, and have since removed it from the download center."

Childs didn't say what third-party software was involved, but the removal instructions his post linked to said update 2823324 may cause Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations and Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Servers versions 6.0.4.1424 and 6.0.4.1611 to display an error message. Antivirus provider Sophos said Brazilian users are being hit particularly hard, and some Twitter messages reported that banking software in that country may be the reason.
To find out (and remove) the update users should go to the Programs & Features window. In the top left area there's a link for "View Installed Updates". Once there, simply paste KB2823324 into the search box and if the update is installed it will show up. From there users can simply uninstall the update.

Please be aware that KB2823324 may still be listed on Windows Update and it may try to install it if set to automatic updates or may list the update in the update queue. (my own desktop still installed it)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up - it must be pretty bad for them to recommend pulling the update:

Microsoft is investigating behavior wherein systems may fail to recover from a reboot or applications fails to load after security update 2823324 is applied. Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this update.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Yeah, it may actually explain some weird program behavior I experienced initially, then again I'm not entirely sure. I don't use Kaspersky or Sophos AV.

I did notice that if you search for 2823324 instead of KB2823324, the update search won't find it.

Reaction score
I just checked

has not been installed on my computer yet I'll watch for it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question