SOLVED Windows 7 Ultimate blue security strip on retail COA authentic?

Reaction score
I recently bought and received just today the retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate off ebay (I know i know don't ever by windows 7 from ebay but i did and its done). Seller had a good feedback reputation and described the product a lot better than most sellers would. It was still shrink wrapped and never opened. I was willing to pay extra money for something legitimate so I didn't "score myself a deal" as some counterfeiters try to get people on.

My question is this: the COA is different from the more common red security strip versions that say "Our Passion" on it. See the attached pic for what it is that I bought.

I've looked at the box back to back side to side up down and around all over the place and there are no misspellings or suspicious manufacturing. It seems to be completely legitimate except for the layout and blue colored security strip which appears to be sandwiched in with the paper fibers from view of the porthole like it should.

Has anyone seen this? My mind would rest at ease if someone can tell me that their legitimate retail copy used this style COA and has been running flawlessly for at least a couple years. Thanks for any advice.

P.S. Here is an additional link to someone questioning the same style COA yet the replies never confirmed it to be legitimate or not.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...home-premium-legitimate?forum=genuinewindows7

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I honestly don't believe you can know if it is real or counterfeit based on the color of that little strip. The fact is, on eBay you are taking a chance. Professionally made counterfeits are near perfect.

Your best option is to install it and activate it immediately but hold off on leaving feedback for at least a month. In fact if the seller pressures you for feedback it should make you even more suspicious.

Reaction score
Jeffrotonimo,
Please check your inbox, I posted a little info about this style of COA.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
virtual7, is there information you could post here that might help others who happen upon this thread? Did you identify something that might indicate it is counterfeit?

Reaction score
From my "research" (a lot of searches), there was a media (DVD) refresh in May 2011 to include SP1 and one other hotfix.
Apparently, the COA style was also changed, compared to the original packaging.
I believe the blue security thread is perfectly fine, and has been used in other COAs for other Windows versions over the years.
The only other info I could find says the thread turns red, and displays the words "YOUR POTENTIAL", when activated with some heat. (You know...the Microsoft philosophy has been "Our Passion...Your Potential".) I suppose the heat changes or somehow erases the blue reflective top coating and exposes the color and phrase underneath. It would be interesting for someone to try that!
The excellent closeup pic that was posted gives, to me at least, an indication of a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 FPP (full packaged product), based on a few other things about the COA, and even the shrink wrap seam.
As you said earlier, the proof is in a trouble-free activation, and no validation issues over time.
(My reason for a private message to the OP was to discuss the eBay "experience" for Windows 7 items.)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My luck on eBay has been 50/50. I had one that the box looked great but the card inside with the product key was all blurred/smudged. What we can see definitely looks pretty good.

Ask a Question