SOLVED windows keeps shutting down

Reaction score
good afternoon.i'm having a problem with my desktop pc.Today while I was using it it brought up the windows shut down screen and proceeded to shut down my pc.I turned it back on and ran virus scan that came back clear.once during the scan it shut itself down again.I the proceeded to restore to an earlier point when it shut down again.the next time I started it I went in to the D partition and was able to restore to an earlier time.Now every time I start Windows normally it comes on then shuts right down.I ran all the hardware tests and all seems ok.Also no warning screen have come up before the shut downs.it just shuts down like I was doing it.Any help would be appreciated .
thanks Eric

Reaction score
Hi Corkerman. Does it do an orderly shutdown or just a sudden shutdown.
If you have overheating or power supply issues windows can suddenly shutdown.
Have you recently added any new hardware or software. How old is your equipment.? What sort of PSU do you have?
Make sure your CPU fan and case fans are running.
I see your running 8gig of Ram do you have a 32 or a 64 bit O/S.?

Reaction score
Thanks Mychael, I bought it new in sept.2010.It's a 64 bit O/S .It's shutting down just like I was doing it.When I have it in the D partition it is staying on.I checked all the fans and ran all the tests I an able to in the D partition.The computer itself appears ok.

Reaction score
Last night I did a total restore on computer.It restored back to factory condition but the problem is still there.When I turn on pc under the C drive it runs different amounts of time then goes into the logging off sequence and proceeds to shut down windows and pc.If I boot the pc in the D partition it does not shut down.I am getting no messages warning me of anything I am at a loss?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Try running a different virus scanner. You may have some sort of virus in your system partition instructing your computer to shut down on boot. If that doesn't work, backup what you need and/or what you can on your system partition and do a reformat.

Reaction score
Thank you shadowalk,I did do a total reformat on drive C and reinstalled windows but problem is still there.

Reaction score
Do you have an extra hard drive? Try switching that with your main drive and install Windows and see if the problem is still there. If that doesn't work, well....you could probably try a CMOS dump or a BIOS update but I'm not sure how it works in branded machines.

Reaction score
Just to clarify here, is it a single HDD with a 'c' and a 'd' partition or two totally separate HDD's?

Reaction score
Hi Mychael, The HDD is one disc it is partitioned into two drives c is main portion,D is set up for recovery.it has all the original loaded software.including the windows 7 program.This computer was factory built and bought complete.

Reaction score
I wanted to let everyone know i figured out my problem.Turns out my keyboard went bad.I have know idea how the keyboard was shutting down windows but I've had no problems sense I replaced it.Just to see what would happen I plugged in the old keyboard and the computer logged off.All has been well for several weeks now.Thanks to everyone that offered help I really appreciate it.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I wanted to let everyone know i figured out my problem.Turns out my keyboard went bad.I have know idea how the keyboard was shutting down windows but I've had no problems sense I replaced it.Just to see what would happen I plugged in the old keyboard and the computer logged off.All has been well for several weeks now.Thanks to everyone that offered help I really appreciate it.
Coffee dribbles and Marmite sandwich crumbs are a right bugger!! :D

Ask a Question