SOLVED Windows 7 keeps locking up randomly

Reaction score
Hey guys

I really hope i can get this problem resolved it's doing my head in.

So I bought a real nice new PC specs are:

GPU: Powercolor AMD 6990
CPU: i7 2600K
RAM: 8GB Ram 2x4GB
PSU: 1000W Corsair
MOBO: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Motherboard
HDD: 4 HDD .. 1.5 WD, 2x500GB WD, 1TB Seagate.

So my problem is my PC keeps freezing and when it freezes it it locks up only way to fix is to hold the power button in to turn it off. It happens when im just browsing the web or listening to music nothing too intense. Cant CTRL + ALT + DEL keyboard and mouse just completely stop working

Now so far I have ran a memory test and that is all fine and also checked the HDD's.
The PC isn't overheating
I have updated all the drivers and updated to latest BIOS
I have done a full format and re-install of the OS
I have all the latest updates for windows.
Checked all the cables made sure they are plugged in okay.

I have also noticed the mouse keeps stuttering and freezing for a sec i have swapped USB ports still the same. I have tested the mouse itself and its fine also updated drivers.

I dont know if the mouse freezing all the time aswell has something to do with the problem. The mouse is a Logitech G9 and is note wireless.

the virus software i am using is BitDefender which is payed for.

done a registry clean.

I thought it may have been my browser so i ditched Firefox and started using Chrome still same problem :(

any suggestion or help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
i just checked the RAM i have isn't on the QVL list for the motherboard but when i done the test it passed with no errors?

do you think this could be causing the freezing? i hope so haha.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What test? You might want to try an extensive Memory Test.
See this Article.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah memtest86, that's the same RAM test app.

I'm afraid freezing is anything but an easy issue.

Have you tried completely uninstalling BitDefendor (use their uninstall tool if they offer one) and seeing if it is still an issue? Some people have had luck changing A/V software.

Another suggestion is in Power Management set it to High Performance.

I also have Process Explorer (similar to task manager) running in one window which I kept visible off to the side while I worked in my main window and I was able to see what process was hogging my cpu during slow-downs. You may consider trying that.

Here is a huge thread on freezing which may offer many ideas but the solutions are as numerous as the causes I'm afraid.

If this is a new computer you might also consider returning it while it is under warranty. There could be some defect or odd issue w/ the motherboard or cpu etc that a new one might correct.

Reaction score
Hey Trainable

yeah i have set it to high performance didnt seem to fix..

Ill give uninstall of BitDefender a go.

Thanks

Reaction score
okay so i uninstalled bitdefender it was lasting longer then normal but it froze again.
but uninstalling it the mouse was still getting the stutter.
im gonna try the replace the RAM today if not try re-install one more time but on a different HDD if that doesnt work im gonna put in a call to the shop i bought it from because i really dunno what else it could be.

Reaction score
[Solved]

Hey Guys

Problem is now fixed i replaced the RAM with RAM that was on the QVL and my PC now doesn't freeze.

As for the mouse freezing and stuttering I changed the mouse and the other one works fine so im guessing its the cable ruined on the other one.

Thanks for your help hope this helps other people out in the future :)

Ask a Question