Windows freezes a lot even in xp

Reaction score
hey guys first of all thanks for starting this awesome forum for win 7, I am liking it. Also I did not post this in the same freeze thread because its a bit different issue that you all will know, ok so here it is :-

i am facing this problem where my pc got hang a lot, before i had win 7 x64 on my computer but after it started getting hang i switched to win xp. But the hangs still continue, also i have two HDD both western digital often there is some voice coming from my cabinet, that i heard before when my previous HDD was getting crashed. My computer gets freez mostly when

- i use Firefox ( but I even tried chrome but same problem occur )
- when it boot ( only in Xp )
- even when i am installing Games ( get freez than )
- but not when I am playing game even like call of cuty black ops

Since i have two HDD its hard to tell which HDD is having a problem, I re-format both of my drive but the problem exist, , so I migrated to XP but in that the problem became more ( freezes for a long time ),
So I thought it might be with the harddisk I reformated both of my hd ( sound was coming from but not after the total erazins ( writing zeros ) and I transfer back to win 7 x64, also this could not be with the graphics card, Since whenever I play games it never freezes, could it be with the RAm ,please tell me where is the issue, also is there a software to test the cause of this......... My configuration is Below : -
HD - 750 GB WD { WD2500AAJS } { I have them both set as IDE even though the are SATA, in the BIOS }
{ WD5000AADS }
RAM - 2GB CORSAIR XM2 x2 800mhz ( total 4GB )
SMPS - COOLERMASTER EXTREME 600W

please give me a solution I have exhausted all mine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try booting into Safe Mode while computer is first turned on, constantly press F8 key on keyboard. Once your in Safe Mode open My Computer and right click on both of your hard drives and select Properties, then Tools, then click on Check Now. Next make sure you put a check mark on on Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors, click on Start and click on the box for it to run on next starup. Follow the same steps for the second hard drive and restart your computer. This will will run CheckDisk on both your hard drives. Let it do it's thing it will probably take a while running, so go find something to occupy yourself with for an hour. Depending on the size of your hard drives it will take a while. A 200 gb. hard drive takes atleast 45 minutes. A 1.0 tb. hard drive takes 3 to 3 1/2 hours. If this doesn't solve your issues, then you either have a virus or outdated drivers. I would download Malwarebytes free from www.malwarebytes.org in Safe Mode with Networking. Install it and let it update itself. Then restart into Safe Mode and let Malwarebytes run a Full Scan and let it remove any malware it finds. If none of those 2 things solve your issues then you either need to update your drivers or one of your hard drives or another component is failing. If you said one of your hard drive's is making clicking noises, then open your computer case up while your pc is off and unplugged. Next before you touch any of the parts inside your pc. Ground yourself by touching the metal on the case to discharge any static electricity from your body or use a Ansti-Static wrist strap. Now unplug the ide or sata cable from one of your hard drive's. Leave the case off, plug your pc back in and turn it on and listen for the noise you spoke of. If you hear it you found your bad hard drive. If you didn't hear the noise, unplug your computer again and hook the ide or sata cable to the hard you unhooked. Plug your computer back in again and leave the case off. Turn the pc on gain and listen for the noise you spoke of. If you hear it this time, then the last hard drive you plugged in is bad and need's replacing. It could also , be a bad Power Supply Unit or bad memory (R.A.M.). Troubleshooting is usually trial & error. Weird noises are usually hard drive related.

Reaction score
Does sound like a faulty HDD to me, if you've re-formated the drives completly before re-installing your operating system then you'd be pretty unlucky to have any bad code remaining on the drive.
Clicking noises from a drive is never a good sign. If your mother board and drives support it you can enable SMART monitoring in the BIOS and this will give you some information about the drives condition.

I had a similar problem to you ages ago and it was a faulty drive but not the spindle or the drive platter itself but rather the logic board on the drive and as far as I'm aware no testing will show up faults in there.

Reaction score
Try booting into Safe Mode while computer is first turned on, constantly press F8 key on keyboard. Once your in Safe Mode open My Computer and right click on both of your hard drives and select Properties, then Tools, then click on Check Now. Next make sure you put a check mark on on Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors, click on Start and click on the box for it to run on next starup. Follow the same steps for the second hard drive and restart your computer. This will will run CheckDisk on both your hard drives. Let it do it's thing it will probably take a while running, so go find something to occupy yourself with for an hour. Depending on the size of your hard drives it will take a while. A 200 gb. hard drive takes atleast 45 minutes. A 1.0 tb. hard drive takes 3 to 3 1/2 hours. If this doesn't solve your issues, then you either have a virus or outdated drivers. I would download Malwarebytes free from www.malwarebytes.org in Safe Mode with Networking. Install it and let it update itself. Then restart into Safe Mode and let Malwarebytes run a Full Scan and let it remove any malware it finds. If none of those 2 things solve your issues then you either need to update your drivers or one of your hard drives or another component is failing. If you said one of your hard drive's is making clicking noises, then open your computer case up while your pc is off and unplugged. Next before you touch any of the parts inside your pc. Ground yourself by touching the metal on the case to discharge any static electricity from your body or use a Ansti-Static wrist strap. Now unplug the ide or sata cable from one of your hard drive's. Leave the case off, plug your pc back in and turn it on and listen for the noise you spoke of. If you hear it you found your bad hard drive. If you didn't hear the noise, unplug your computer again and hook the ide or sata cable to the hard you unhooked. Plug your computer back in again and leave the case off. Turn the pc on gain and listen for the noise you spoke of. If you hear it this time, then the last hard drive you plugged in is bad and need's replacing. It could also , be a bad Power Supply Unit or bad memory (R.A.M.). Troubleshooting is usually trial & error. Weird noises are usually hard drive related.
I did try to run the malware byte in safe mode but perform the quick scan, will try to ran a full scan, also I thought it might be the RAm issue so I changes the Ram modules position, but still the isue persist, with the hard disk issue will try that and keep you update on it, thx :)

Reaction score
also my computer was attacked by the reacycler virus which I removed with malware but the recycler folder remain I tried to disable the restore point and disable the ecycle bin still the folder exist and it also get cop[ied to the external HDD, I tried to zip the recycle folder and take the desktop.ini. please can any one tell me if the infection is still there here is the desktop.ini 's conttebt

Code:
[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-8964

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-8964

Reaction score
Did you run Malwarebytes (only one word) ? If what you ran was called Malware or Malware Byteos, then you got a fake malware removal program. It wouldn't suprize me if you did. Did you get it from www.malwarebytes.org ? If yes, run a Full Scan not a Quick Scan. Remove any thing it finds. Don't delete any registry keys. Download Ccleaner from www.piriform.com and use it and only it to clean your registry.

Ask a Question