Windows 7 x64, various BSoD (Custom Built)

Reaction score
I built this computer just a few weeks ago, and I didn't know what to do. I've been getting many BSoD, some will say like "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "tcpip.sys" and some others I can't remember. I took pictures of some but those 2 were the only ones I managed to snap in time. I can put my dump files up, I just don't know how, so if someone could lead me through that process I could. I spent some good money on this computer for gaming but it doesn't help that whenever I am using it, it will randomly crash. If you need any information just ask and tell me how to give it to you and I will. Thanks!

I'm going to bed for tonight. I will try to post the information anyone needs tomorrow morning! (Central time)

Reaction score
This is my Minidump from recently. I had to move 3 out because it was too big. Thank you for trying to help! I will post my hardware information after this.

Attachments

Reaction score
Software Specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3350P Ivy Bridge.

Mainboard: MSI ZH77A-G43 (MS-7758),
-Chipset: Intel Ivy Bridge
- Southbridge: Intel H77

Memory: DDR3 16GB, Dual Channel (Patriot Extreme Masters Limited Edition)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB

I am running Windows 7 (6.1) Home Premium Edition 64-bit.

Thanks.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
There's no specific mischievous driver causing the BSODs in the dumps, so that complicates things somewhat. My guess is that it's either a missing driver, a viral infection, or a malfunctioning/badly seated hardware component (memory, network card, etc).

I'd approach the problem-solving in that order. Since you built the machine yourself, did you download current drivers from each component's manufacturer or did you just let Windows install its native drivers and call it good? The chipset driver is particularly important.

Reaction score
I downloaded all the drivers for the mainboard off of the disk, I got my graphics driver from the NVIDIA website because I wanted it to be up to date. I am pretty sure I have all my drivers installed. I've gone into the driver manager thing on windows and I don't have any unknown drivers. My memory was malfunctioning when I first got it and ran Memtest on it, and I had tons of errors. I sent that back and got a new set of Memory. How would I fix a viral infection? Should I install an Anti-Virus or something to scan? I will try Malwarebytes. If you need me to take any snapshots of my drivers page or something I can. Thanks for helping so far.

Trying to run Anti-Virus scans >.< computer shuts off before they finish

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You can create a live cd for scanning for infections. I think Kaspersky still has a free one.

I'd also run Memtest86 again just to make sure. The number of BSODs you seem to get is alarming. If memory tests fail with one set and you replace it, and then they fail again with the next set (which you are on now) then it's more likely to be the motherboard that's faulty.

Has this computer worked right at any point at all? Has there ever been a whole week when it didn't crash once?

Reaction score
My computer has never worked properly. Sorry for the late reply, but I ran Memtest over night and I had no errors. I ran it again earlier today. I scanned my computer with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. No viral infections. How would I figure out if my motherboard is for sure faulty?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's tricky to be sure. I know you said you installed drivers from the disc that came with the mobo but have you tried these: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/ZH77A-G43.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64

They are the most recent drivers for your motherboard. The chipset driver being particularly important. You can additionally install and run SlimDrivers Free to look for additional drivers, but the ones in the link above are the crucial ones.

If your system still continues to crash after installing those and rebooting, you could boot into a Linux Mint Live CD and use it for a while for random stuff and see if it crashes as well. If it does, then it very likely is a hardware failure with your motherboard OR a badly seated component (remove and reseat graphics card, etc).

Reaction score
I downloaded the newest drivers for my motherboard, then I scanned my computer with SlimDrivers and there were like 9 drivers I didn't have installed, so I installed those and restarted.

My computer still hasn't crashed since downloading the drivers, but by tonight I will probably know.

Thank you so much for helping me with this!

Reaction score
Well, just crashed 4 times in a row about 5 minutes after turning it on. I just decided to leave it alone. I'll try reseating my memory and graphics card.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You said you have 16GB of memory. Could you provide more info on the chips? Is that 2x8GB or 4x4GB? What is the speed? 1333 MHz? 1600MHz? Is the Patriot Model # on >>THIS LIST<< of memory "tested" for that MOBO by MSI?

NOTE: Not being on the list does not automatically mean it won't work.
NOTE2: A bad memtest usually means there is a RAM problem but a clear test does not mean there absolutely isn't one.

Reaction score
Patriot Memory 16GB PC3-15000 (1866MHz) Intel® Extreme Masters Memory, Limited Edition
2x8GB

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=239&id=1285

How would I check to see if it isn't compatible? I could get different RAM or a different Motherboard... If I change the Motherboard will I have to reinstall Windows 7? Would it be easier to get different RAM, IF the RAM isn't compatible?

Thank you guys for helping me on this. It means a lot to me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are running at 1866 then you are Overclocking which the board should support but when you have BSODs it is always best to set things back to factory recommended and see if the issues go away. Factory recommended max for that MOBO is 1600. Also with only 2 DIMMs they should be in slots 2 & 4 so you should verify that as well (Slot 1 which should be empty is the one closest to the CPU).

Reaction score
I checked BIOS and it says it's running at 1600 automatically. I did seat the Memory in the right spots. My CPU is non-overclockable, could that be the problem, or no?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How about your timings and voltage, are they set correctly for that RAM when it is running at 1600MHz? If the settings are correct, plus a clean memtest then I would say it is very unlikely it is a RAM issue.

Reaction score
Not for sure how to check my RAM timings... I am running at 1.5V for RAM though.

I remember someone said I should try 1.65V and it gave me a lot more errors so I set it back down.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well easiest way I know to check timings is to install the freeware utility CPU-Z and run it. Click on the MEMORY tab and take a screenshot of that. Then click on the SPD tab and take a screenshot of Slot 2 & another of Slot 4 (I hope they are the same but I would still like to see them both). Post all three screenshots.

At this point your RAM is looking less and less like a problem.

Reaction score
I will post the screenshots in a bit, but I just wanted to say this. I took 1 of my sticks of RAM out, and my computer runs like a charm. Hasn't shut down since I got back from school. Maybe I need less GB of RAM or one stick is corrupt or something?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no reason W7 would "want" less RAM but you do need two good sticks and good MOBO connections. Are the RAM sticks identical? I would switch that one chip out with the other and see if you still run well on 4GB ... If one works but one doesn't then I would have the bad stick replaced. Then after that try moving a good stick from the slot it is in to the slot 2 doors down ... If it works in one slot but not the other than the problem is likely the mother board connection and the MOBO would need replaced.

Ask a Question