SOLVED Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium x64 from Windows Vista Home Premium x64

Reaction score
I have the upgrade disc with product key. I do not want to go through the hassle of a "clean" installation, hence the upgrade disc (In place). I get a "possible corrupt system file" message about 15-20 minutes after putting in the upgrade disc. I've tried starting installation via startup menu/computer and also powering up computer with the disc already inside (per recommendations that I've read online.)

Any recommendation on how I should proceed? If it makes a difference, is there a way to download the W7 update rather than using the disc, since I do have the key?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the corrupt file may be your Vista installation so first make sure your existing system is correct by running SFC /Scannow from an administrative command prompt. If the Vista installation is OK then you can download and burn a new copy of W7 using the W7-SP1U links HERE. Be sure to get H.P. 64-bit.

Reaction score
Well the corrupt file may be your Vista installation so first make sure your existing system is correct by running SFC /Scannow from an administrative command prompt. If the Vista installation is OK then you can download and burn a new copy of W7 using the W7-SP1U links HERE. Be sure to get H.P. 64-bit.
I agree about Vista being a possible problem. I ran the sfc/scannow and got the attached results.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It just says there is a problem with your windows sidebar settings.ini file now, which you can probably ignore.

Have you tried to reinstall W7? How much available free hard drive space do you have?

Reaction score
It just says there is a problem with your windows sidebar settings.ini file now, which you can probably ignore.

Have you tried to reinstall W7? How much available free hard drive space do you have?
I figured the same regarding the sidebar error. Also Win 7 doesn't have the sidebar anyways, only Vista, but I wanted to be sure.

I don't have Win 7, so how could I re-install it? I bought a Win 7 upgrade. That's the disc that my computer won't act upon. I'm trying to avoid a "clean" install. I have plenty of free space, 350+G.

After talking to someone at work, my next step will be changing the boot priority in the BIOS. I'll see how that works. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I meant have you tried installing it another time?

The DVD must be first in the boot priority, your friend would be correct on that. If you are seeing Vista boot and then trying to run the installation from the DVD that would not be correct.

Reaction score
I meant have you tried installing it another time?

The DVD must be first in the boot priority, your friend would be correct on that. If you are seeing Vista boot and then trying to run the installation from the DVD that would not be correct.
Update: DVD is first boot priority but Win 7 update disc will not run. I borrowed another Win 7 update disc and had same results. Defective disc is pretty much ruled out. Also, chkdsk showed no problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please explain "will not run".

Do you mean it starts but fails or do you mean it never started when you boot the computer with the DVD?

If you have the DVD in the bay and you boot the computer but Vista starts instead then there are only two options, either you have a bad W7 DVD, such as it is not bootable, or it is not in the boot order before the Vista hard drive.

Reaction score
Please explain "will not run".

Do you mean it starts but fails or do you mean it never started when you boot the computer with the DVD?

If you have the DVD in the bay and you boot the computer but Vista starts instead then there are only two options, either you have a bad W7 DVD, such as it is not bootable, or it is not in the boot order before the Vista hard drive.
With the BIOS set with DVD in top priority, my computer still bypasses the DVD. I recently borrowed a 2nd Win 7 update disc. My computer bypassed it a few times also, then a few days ago, my computer finally recognized the 2nd disc and I got my first Win 7 update message box for installation. Unfortunately there was an error message shortly into downloading files, which said to restart computer and begin again.

Since then, with the 2nd disc, sometimes the DVD is bypassed and the rest of the time I receive an error message shortly after beginning to run the program/disc. Right now I suspect a dirty or defective CD ROM drive. I won't be able to spend time with the issue until late this weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction score
With the BIOS set with DVD in top priority, my computer still bypasses the DVD. I recently borrowed a 2nd Win 7 update disc. My computer bypassed it a few times also, then a few days ago, my computer finally recognized the 2nd disc and I git my first Win 7 update message box for installation. Unfortunately there was an error message shortly into downloading files, which said to restart computer and begin again.

Since then, with the 2nd disc, sometimes the DVD is bypassed and the rest of the time I receive an error message shortly after beginning to run the program/disc. Right now I suspect a dirty or defective CD ROM drive. I won't be able to spend time with the issue until late this weekend.

SOLUTION: I made a bootable USB drive using a Win 7 download. That way I bypassed the DVD drive. Although I suspected the DVD drive to be defective, I am now updating drivers and some programs using DVD's! It seems my DVD drive simply had problems with both Win 7 update discs, which did not come from the same store and were Microsoft copies (not burned copies). I'm currently enjoying a much faster system. Thank you for the suggestions.

Ask a Question