Windows 7 x64 BSOD 0x3b

Reaction score
Hi there,

Lately, i've been receiving a lot of these blue screen errors, especially when browsing the internet (ie YouTube etc.), but not during playing games. Could someone please help me out here? it's driving me crazy.

I've attached multiple dump files, looking at the dump files it seems like ntoskml.exe is being problematic? I really don't know what to do though.

System specs:

Intel i7 4770K
ASUS Z87-A motherboard
RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3. 4gb x 4
2 x ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ntosknl is the Windows kernal and isn't the actual problem; it is more a catch-all when nothing more specific was known.

First and foremost run a safe-mode virus scan as explained HERE.

Then try to update your drivers:
Make sure you have the latest USB3 Host Controller Driver from Intel.
The latest video drivers from NVidia.

Also in your browser make sure you clear the cache and uninstall unused toolbars and that your add-ons are up-to-date.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi there,

Lately, i've been receiving a lot of these blue screen errors, especially when browsing the internet (ie YouTube etc.), but not during playing games. Could someone please help me out here? it's driving me crazy.

I've attached multiple dump files, looking at the dump files it seems like ntoskml.exe is being problematic? I really don't know what to do though.

System specs:

Intel i7 4770K
ASUS Z87-A motherboard
RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3. 4gb x 4
2 x ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
You have 4 different flavors or memory problems probably related to your Symantec. I would remove and replace with MSE and if you continue to crash run these tests

Symantec is a frequent cause of BSOD's.
I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

For Norton 360 use this http://symantec.pcperformancetools.com/norton-360-how-to-uninstall.html

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver).

Please run these tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are [URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking']overclocking
(pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you dont know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

1-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/memory-problems/21c3f63f-f570-4522-b2ef-ecc7b7ff6461) Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Get it here
Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

If a known good stick fails in one motherboard slot but not another it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition.
Most times it will crash and it will tell you what the driver is, but sometimes it will crash and won't tell you the driver.
Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

Go toStartand type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and pressEnter
Select "Createcustom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
Select"Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
Select everythingEXCEPT FOR"Low Resource Simulation"
For Win 8 dont checkConcurrency stress test, and DDI compliance checking click "Next"
Select"Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all driversNOTprovided by Microsoft and click "Next"
Select"Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.

Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Co-Authored by JMH3143
[/URL]

Ask a Question