BSOD Windows 7 x64 -

Reaction score
Hello there, I've been receiving many BSOD's over the past couple of days. I would like to resolve this issue as it has caused much stress.

I recently installed a new Motherboard, new RAM, and I reformatted my HDD.

New RAM
2x4GB RAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500 G.SKILL F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL)

Old RAM
4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS Motherboard (ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s)

I've tried to isolate the issue to see where the problem was, but I've been having issues with that.

I've noticed that the new RAM I've installed has caused my browsers to crash at random, and sometimes when I try to open them they won't load at all. I removed the RAM, and the problems stopped. However I did receive another BSOD.

I'm not sure what to go on at this point, and would appreciate help as I'm stuck.

Attachments

Reaction score
I did 3-4 passes on individual RAM sticks, and did 3-4 passes with them together.

heres screenshots

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also on p. 2-10 of the motherboard manual, it say that if you have 2 sticks of RAM they should be in slots A2 and B2.
Is that where you have the RAM?

Reaction score
Also on p. 2-10 of the motherboard manual, it say that if you have 2 sticks of RAM they should be in slots A2 and B2.
Is that where you have the RAM?
I have 4 sticks of RAM in total. Where are you looking at that shows that the RAM is not supported?

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you go to your motherboard site and select the tab that says "Memory/device support" and download the zip file.
There are 2 PDF files in the zip.
1 x AM3
1 x AM3+ (This is yours according to your post #1)
The g.skill part number (PC3 8500 G.SKILL F3-8500 CL7D-8GBRL) is not in that pdf.
Another interesting thing is that the PDF doesn't show anything for 1066 RAM.
But also your mixing 1066 with 1333? I have never personally done that, but mixing RAM of different speeds is probably not a good idea.

What happens when you only have the G.Skill RAM in A2 and B2? Does it work?

Reaction score
If you go to your motherboard site and select the tab that says "Memory/device support" and download the zip file.
There are 2 PDF files in the zip.
1 x AM3
1 x AM3+ (This is yours according to your post #1)
The g.skill part number (PC3 8500 G.SKILL F3-8500 CL7D-8GBRL) is not in that pdf.
Another interesting thing is that the PDF doesn't show anything for 1066 RAM.
But also your mixing 1066 with 1333? I have never personally done that, but mixing RAM of different speeds is probably not a good idea.

What happens when you only have the G.Skill RAM in A2 and B2? Does it work?
Sorry for late response, at work atm. I'll test tonight and let you know

Shintaro

Reaction score
Not a problem. Let us know how you go when you get home.

Reaction score
Not a problem. Let us know how you go when you get home.
Alright, I did a test run with the 8GB of RAM in A2 and B2. The RAM caused browser crashing, and was unstable. Within an hour the PC froze and caused the screen to break into different broken colours.

I removed the 8GB of RAM and did the same thing with the 2x2GB RAM sticks. I still received the same screen breakage after 10 minutes of use. however all programs ran fine.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but I wasn't receiving any BSOD, just a sudden freeze. Could this be a faulty mobo / corrupt windows 7 / overheating?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Noticed the crashing only happens when playing League of Legends. I ran the computer over night fine without any crashes, however when I'm playing league of legends, I notice the computer freezes after a few games.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you looked for updates from the Games web site?

Games are always causing problems.

I can possibly have a look, but I would need a FULL memory dump. It will be hundreds of Mb's on disk but will zip (compress) to about 200 Mb. You would then need to upload that file to somewhere like mediafire.com
But there is no guarantee that I can find something especially if it is in the game that is the problem.

The other thing is to monitor your hardware for heat/voltage variance.Download hwinfo and log all data to file. Then when it crashes look to see if there is any overheating of the CPU or GPU(Video Card CPU) or strange voltage changes.
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question