SOLVED Windows 7 stopped working

Reaction score
Hi,
I ran Win 7 64 Ultimate bit on the same computer for a year with no problems. One morning my antivirus wouldnt update anymore. Later on Firefox and Explorer started to crash. Tried to restore system - more problems appeared. Decided to re-install windows as I had done many times before.
Installation crashed, blue screens apeared on several re-insallations. If I managed to install windows updates would not install and programs would crash.
Vista 32 bit and Win 7 32 bit Ultimate would work with no obvious problems - dont crash on installation and updates can be installed with no problems (one the same computer, when installed one at the time, not all at once).
Updated BIOS, swapped memory sticks to check if any of those is faulty, used different memory slots. Everything seems ok.
I have been trying even different installation discs, still the same 32 bit worked, but 64 bit didnt.
I was on similar forum as this and did a lot of testing suggested by folks (Memtest86, Prime95 etc.) - no errors found. Tried clean install any way possible - no luck. Harddrives checked - no problems.
Checked system at one point, when Win 7 64 bit was running before crashing again, with ASUS PC diagnostic tool - everything came back OK, but system crashed in couple of minutes again.
Now I can not install Win 7 32 bit anymore, which I could before.

I am down to Win Vista 32 bit and out of ideas!

Anybody...?

System:
ASUS P8 P67 LE
Intel i5 2500K
2x4GB Team Elite 1333 Mhz RAM
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD primary drive
Sapphire RADEON HD 6770 1GB

Thank you

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
This sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried installing onto a different hard drive? If not, remove the SSD and try another drive. The Force Series 3 SSD drives have a history of malfunctioning and causing BSODs.

Reaction score
P8P67 LE

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_LE/#
REV 3.0 - New P67 B3 Revision
Dual Intelligent Processors - TPU & EPU for Overclocking & Energy Savings

• Dual Intelligent Processors - TPU & EPU
  • Protect 3.0 - Protect the Earth & the system & you
  • UEFI BIOS - EZ Mode - Flexible & Easy BIOS Interface
  • AI Suite II - One-stop Access to Innovative ASUS Features
  • MemOK! - Any Memory is A-OK!
  • True USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Support - fully unleash performance
  • Extra SATA 6Gb/s Supports

The Intel® P67 Express Chipset natively supports the Serial ATA (SATA) interface, delivering up to 6.0 Gb/s data transfer. ASUS provides extra SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports with enhanced scalability, faster data retrieval, and double the bandwidth of current bus systems.
    i didnt find anything that said it supports a SSD (Solid State Drive).

Reaction score
Tried different harddrive (WD) - same result. Crashed on install, error reads:
"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"
Any other ideas?

Thank you

Reaction score
Intel® P67(B3) chipset :
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *2
1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices , navy blue
1 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
1 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue nothing saying it supports SSD.
These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
What installation media are you using?

Reaction score
These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

Reaction score
P8P67 LE

REV 3.0 - New P67 B3 Revision
Dual Intelligent Processors - TPU & EPU for Overclocking & Energy Savings

• Dual Intelligent Processors - TPU & EPU
  • Protect 3.0 - Protect the Earth & the system & you
  • UEFI BIOS - EZ Mode - Flexible & Easy BIOS Interface
  • AI Suite II - One-stop Access to Innovative ASUS Features
  • MemOK! - Any Memory is A-OK!
  • True USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Support - fully unleash performance
  • Extra SATA 6Gb/s Supports

The Intel® P67 Express Chipset natively supports the Serial ATA (SATA) interface, delivering up to 6.0 Gb/s data transfer. ASUS provides extra SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports with enhanced scalability, faster data retrieval, and double the bandwidth of current bus systems.
    i didnt find anything that said it supports a SSD (Solid State Drive).
It worked flawlessly for a year or so. Why would it stop being compatible after so long? Here is a link about Crucial being compatible:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=4C9EC914A5CA7304

Thank you

Reaction score
what Core says here: This sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried installing onto a different hard drive? If not, remove the SSD and try another drive. The Force Series 3 SSD drives have a history of malfunctioning and causing BSODs.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Will the 64-bit installation of W7 finish successfully if you remove one of the memory sticks and use just 4GB of RAM?

Reaction score
then your lleft at contacting asus support.
did you try a clean install of 32 bit win7.
i had vista home basic on this acer laptop, but had to many problems with the OS, and acer answer to corrupt files were factory default restore, i got tired of doing that once a month. i search online for a full version of vista and couldnt find any, went to local electronic stores and sales man at compusa said vista has been discontinued, told him about the aspire 5515 and problem i have with it, he said i could install a win7 dvd 32bit by doing clean install. i cant sell this laptop cause the OS is a system builder pack, and im not a computer manufacture.

Last edited:
Reaction score
what Core says here: This sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried installing onto a different hard drive? If not, remove the SSD and try another drive. The Force Series 3 SSD drives have a history of malfunctioning and causing BSODs.
Just did, after Core suggested - same result, crashed on install.

Reaction score
does fan come on when you first power it on and then bios screen appears. check to see if power is reaching hard drive. check ground. if all checks OK, i would contact asus support for futher help.

Reaction score
Will the 64-bit installation of W7 finish successfully if you remove one of the memory sticks and use just 4GB of RAM?
It works now perfectly with one stick! So what is the problem then - motherboard, memory slots or sticks?

Last edited:
Reaction score
maybe sticks try swapping sticks around to see if it problem occurs, if not the problem is in slot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
then slot maybe bad. is your mother board still in warranty.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You may have mismatched memory which can cause issues (this depends on the mobo RAM configuration and whether it has slotted pairs, etc). Easiest is to use two sticks that match.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may have mismatched memory which can cause issues (this depends on the mobo RAM configuration and whether it has slotted pairs, etc). Easiest is to use two sticks that match.
Both sticks are the same make and specs and they worked with no problems for a year. Mobo is configurated with two pairs of slots, but problem persists no matter which pair of slots sticks have been put into.

Ask a Question