Windows Explorer has stopped working

Reaction score
I've only started getting this recently. Within explorer when I right click on a drive I get a popup of "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and it goes into looking for solution and then says it will close the program.

Through searches, I ran a System File Checker scan in which it didn't find anything wrong. Another post stated that one showed change folder settings by clicking the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and clicking off "Display file icon on thumbnails." This did not work.

So not sure what to do. I haven't install or added anything in weeks. I did a clean instal about 3ish weeks ago.

Reaction score
Try clean boot and see what happens:

1) Type msconfig.sys and press enter.
2) Click on 'Services' tab and select on 'Hide all Microsoft Services'.
3) Disable all the services.
Close the window and restart your computer. If that allows you to navigate your drive, that means you've problem with any of your installed program or antivirus software.
You can find the faulty one by enabling all the disabled services one by one to make sure that you can successfully remove the faulty applications.

Hope it helps!!

Ask a Question