Windows 7 Random Freezes

Reaction score
Hey, I bought my computer about three days ago and ever since, I have been getting random freezes which require a reboot. These freezes can happen at any point, whether browsing the internet or playing a game, it just stops.

Mainboard : Asus M4A77T/USB3
Chipset : AMD RD770
Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3200 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Hard Disk : Hitachi (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA Device
Monitor Type : ProView Technology - 19 inches
Network Card : RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7600 (x64)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

Here is a video of what happens (not mine but the same freeze):

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]NdfQ-k3C7v4[/MEDIA]"]YouTube- Windows 7 freeze help please![/ame]

Reaction score
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=lktfeydH7jRKCfWT&templete=2

Go to download, choose your OS, Utilities section.

Install:

"AMD SATA RAID/AHCI Driver files for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)"

and

this to update the ATK0110 driver:

"ASUS PC ProbeII V1.04.83 Install Program for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7."

--------

If you still have issues after, uninstall your current antivirus in safe mode using the tool found here. Reboot to normal mode and test:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

--------

Install the latest video driver:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

If still no good, please type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type.

Reaction score
Okay, but could you explain how to install these things after download?
Forget the SATA RAID driver for now.

For this: "ASUS PC ProbeII V1.04.83 Install Program for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7." - download then extract to a folder.

Go into the extracted folder and double click Setup.exe.

Reaction score
Cool. I don't own or use any Asus gear (although I should, good and solid reputable company), so I've never installed that.

It's basically an installer meant to update a particular driver that causes issues on systems, namely ASACPI.sys.

You don't need any of the installed software to actually run or start with Windows. If you'd like to disable the startup apps if any (and I would myself), then type msconfig in the start menu, then hit enter. Go to startup tab and uncheck the box next to whatever has ASUS in the name. Click ok to save.

Let us know how it goes and follow the other advice if not done yet, if needed.

Reaction score
Nothing in startup that is ASUS so I'd imagine it wasn't that.

By the way, still having random crashes and as far as I know, all video drivers are up to date.

Reaction score
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, and the 64 bit uninstaller was in another language (German I think) and only seemed to have one option which was to close.

Reaction score
Keep getting random freezes every once in a while. Usually it takes an hour or two but I've been searching a ton of places and nobody seems to have a fix. Thanks for any help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tried? Did it install or not?
Find a clear spot on your desktop and right-click. Is Catalyst Control center the first thing in the menu? Select it and go to information center to see what version is installed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suggest you download the freeware utility Process Explorer which is listed in the recommended freeware for this forum (see link). Run this program and run your other applications in a window beside it so you can watch what is processing when your system freezes. Hopefully you can spot the exact program or SERVICE and report back.

Ask a Question