SOLVED Windows 7 Freezes Randomly - Need Help Please

Reaction score
I'm in need of help as these random freezes is driving me insane. It will freeze when I'm watching a video, browsing or doing nothing at all. The only way to get it working again is hitting the restart button.

It's a brand new computer which I've only had for about 3 months or so. It did not freeze when I first got it. I can't remember when the freezing started.

I have done the following suggested from the other thread:
- Set it to High Performance
- Updated the drivers
- Cleaned my registry
- In BIOS, SpeedStep, C-State and Turbo Mode are all disabled but it still froze. I tried enabling SpeedStep and that ran smoothly for 8 hours before it froze.

The only thing I haven't done is update the BIOS cos I'm afraid it might freeze when I'm in the process of doing it and then I won't know what to do when that happens.

I have Windows 7 64-bit.
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz
Motherboard : EVGA 141-BL-E757
BIOS: Pheonix Technologies V6.00 PG Date 02/04/2010
Video driver: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 26/10/2010 V8.791.0.0

I don't know what else to do. Can anyone please help?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling your anti-virus software?

Have you disabled sleep mode in power options ?... set it to never sleep, no hybrid sleep.

It could also be a hardware issue. Is your machine overclocked? Maybe Memtest the RAM or scan HD for problems.

Reaction score
I have uninstalled AVG and installed MSE instead along with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malware.

Yes, I have set it to never sleep or hibernate. I just have the display set to turn off after 15mins if idle but it comes back on when I move my mouse.

Machine is not overclocked. I hardly play games on it. I use CPU-Z to check the temps and it's never hot...if I am reading it right.

Memtest...I'm afraid to do this since I don't know what I'm doing and might stuff up my computer.

I did unplug everything last night and it did not freeze at all from 6.30pm to 2.00am. I thought the problem was fixed.....but today, it just froze on me again when I only had it on for 30mins.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You really should update to the latest BIOS version which is 77 dated: 11-7-2010

Use either the CD-ROM method of install or the floppy disk method. These are the safest way and don't involve going into Windows 7 to do it.

I use the floppy disk method which I personally find to be the safest. I use an external floppy drive kit via a USB 2.0 connection.

However the CD-ROM method is very safe to since it boot to DOS too.

From the EVGA website:

The following has been updated in 77:

• Adds IOH Clock Skew, tWL and tREF options to BIOS
INSTRUCTIONS: BIOS updating can be accomplished VIA one of the below methods:
CD Method (Blank CD and CD Rewritable Drive Required)
  • Download the following .iso file: E757_77.iso
  • Use CD Burning software to burn the .iso image onto a blank CD (Nero, Alochol 120%, MagicISO etc.)
  • After it has burned, insert CD and restart the machine, go into the BIOS and load defaults, save and exit.
  • Now set the CD Drive as the primary boot device, or press escape while the system is booting to select CD as the bootable device.
  • After flash remove the CD, and power off PC Completely.
  • Turn on the PC and load defaults in BIOS
USB FLOPPY (Floppy Disk and Disk Drive Required)
  • Download the following executable: E757_77.exe
  • Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable.
  • Now set the USB Floppy as the primary boot device, or press escape while the system is booting to select USB Floppy as the bootable device.
  • After flash remove the floppy, power off PC Completely.
  • Turn on the PC and load defaults in BIOS.
USB Flash Drive Installation
  • Download E75777.bin.
  • Visit this thread and follow the installation instructions. (thanks 30h6).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware. Run this tool to rid of AVG remnants in your system:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

As a general rule, do not mix different security softwares in one system.

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

I've been reading online and people say it's ok to run MSE with SperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. I have all 3 installed. Will it be ok if I remove SuperAntiSpyware?

Reaction score
You really should update to the latest BIOS version which is 77 dated: 11-7-2010

Use either the CD-ROM method of install or the floppy disk method. These are the safest way and don't involve going into Windows 7 to do it.

I use the floppy disk method which I personally find to be the safest. I use an external floppy drive kit via a USB 2.0 connection.

However the CD-ROM method is very safe to since it boot to DOS too.

From the EVGA website:
I have never updated BIOS ever so the thought of having to do this kind of scares me. If all else fails I will have to do it anyway.

Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I updated a couple via the windows method before I ever knew there was any risk. Not like the manufacturer puts a big warning on their updates page. The truth is, unless the power were to go out during the update, your odds are extremely high for success.

Reaction score
Okay now I'm really scared.

I was just listening to music and then my speaker made this sqeaking noise and then my screen flicked to a blue screen with all this text on it. I didn't know what to do and then it just restarted itself. I am now in safe mode. I have never experience a blue screen error like this before.

Should I do that bios update thing now?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hold up on the BIOS for a minute.

A BSOD may be very helpful as the dump could help point to your problems. Follow the instructions here and create a new BSOD thread.

Reaction score
The Graphics Card

There's a known timing issue with Window 7 and the ATI Radeon 5700+ cards that happens when the card changes from low to high power states or back to low power from high power.
Things to do first.. Do a system integrity test.. Use an elevated command prompt.
In search box type cmd , right click it and run as Administrator. Then type sfc /scannow
The check will attempt to fix any corrupted files. If it can't fix them. Do a fresh install of Windows 7 without the card in the system.
Get all your updates done, etc.. Then install the Radeon.. If you get an update for the card.. Use that driver.. Don't bother with CCC (catalyst control center) or AMD Overdrive, etc.. Use this instead http://majorgeeks.com/ATI_Tray_Tools_d4569.html

Be conservative with your timings.. I use 875:1350 without problems. Basically this is the only program I've found that prevents the ATI card from going to a low power state..

Reaction score
After getting the BSOD error, I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling ZA and SuperAntiSpyware which was conflicting with some MSE.

All is good now. No more freezes or BSOD errors.

Ask a Question