Windows 7 or win xp for games

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm building a gaming pc and was wondering if i should use a lite version of windows 7 or a lite version of windows xp, keeping in mind i will be dual-booting with a normal retail version of win 7.
Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by lite version?

If I am following correctly, you are asking which OS (Windows 7 or XP) to dual boot with retail Windows 7. Why exactly would you dual boot two copies of Windows 7?

Reaction score
like a cut down version where nearly all the "unnecessary" bits are taken out (For gaming any ways)

Reaction score
Ahh OK - I see where you are going.

I wish I could answer your question, I'm not a gamer myself so I shouldn't even attempt. I was confused and figured clarification wouldn't hurt.

To be honest I think that using XP or 7 for gaming would be a personal issue. Have you had any issues with games playing on Windows 7 vs XP?

Reaction score
not really it's just because of my lack of ram *cough,512mb,cough* lol thats why i wanted to know if xp would run a bit smoother for games because it needs less system resources.

Reaction score
not really it's just because of my lack of ram *cough,512mb,cough* lol thats why i wanted to know if xp would run a bit smoother for games because it needs less system resources.
If I'm not mistaken Windows 7 would be comparable to Windows XP on using resources, if you didn't use Windows Aero. You already mentioned the copy used for gaming would be a cut down version. But like I said I'm not qualified to give an answer so I will wish you luck on your new build. :) Maybe someone that really knows will respond quickly.

Reaction score

FWIW, id say, before you even bother with figuring out what dualboot to use, is get more RAM. these days a minimum of 2/4 is needed for any proper gaming.
thats just my POV tho.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would say stick with XP. Half a GB of RAM does not even meet the system requirements for W7-32bit. Your memory will limit you to older games anyway.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I used to dual-boot XP back in the old days before 7 came out. I used a stripped install of XP as a gaming installation, where everything that wasn't necessary to keep running was disabled or uninstalled. This is because XP's performance deteriorates much faster than 7's, or that has been my experience anyway.

With Windows 7 I have not seen any benefits from doing that, although I did try it. The system itself does slow down over time, but strangely enough it does not seem to affect third-party applications, games included, much.

I would not go back to XP if it were not for the surprisingly small amount of RAM you have in your system. In your case a separate XP gaming installation is probably necessary rather than an option.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
What kind of games do you plan on playing on it?

What model is the motherboard, btw?

Reaction score
1.What kind of games do you plan on playing on it?

2.What model is the motherboard, btw?
1. bioshock 1 and two and gta 1 to 4, I read the system requirements just looking at the graphics and my card is compatible, it's a 7900gt/gto nvidia card 256mb
2. it's a gigabyte GA-8I915P rev 2.0

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Minimum system reqs for BioShock 2 alone include 2 gigs of RAM, so unless you're planning on slapping on more of it you may find your gaming rig seriously bottlenecked.

Reaction score
7 is worthy when u have a DX11 video card and a DX11 game

Reaction score
I think if you computer have whery Low CPU, Ram, Wideo Card
Then better take Windows xp

Reaction score
hmmm with 512 mb ram you won't come far, i suggest you take win xp, but it's even low for that. i'd say look on e-bay for some cheap ram.

Ask a Question