SOLVED older kids games on windows 7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the games are old 16-bit games and your OS is 64-bit then you will need a virtual environment. 16-bit games should work fine on a 32-bit system.

If they are DOS games then probably the best solution is to use DOSBox which is a DOS emulator.

If DOSBox won't work then one possible way to get a virtual environment on 64-bit machines is with Microsoft Virtual PC - XP Mode and that DOES require Professional or higher (you can get Virtual PC - XP Mode on a 32-bit machine as well but it is less likely you would need it). But other virtual environments are available for free if you own old Windows XP disks. See the Virtualization section of our Freeware DB to learn more about creating a Virtual environment if that is something you need to play your old games.

Last edited:
Reaction score
do you have to have windows 7 professional to run older kids games?
I planned on getting Windows 7 Preium Home but my sister said I would need Windows 7 Professional for the older games, so I just wanted to make sure I was right. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well you still haven't said if you were going with 32-bit or 64-bit; 32-bit can probably run old 16-bit windows games just by setting the compatibility mode and 32-bit games will likely work in compatibility mode in 32-bit & in 64-bit. And you didn't say if they were DOS games, which as I mentioned would run with DOSBox.

So if you are going 64-bit and you have old 16-bit windows games (like ski.exe) then yes, I would pay the extra $30 or so and go Professional just to use the free download of Virtual PC - XP mode.

You have marked this solved so hopefully I was clear.

Ask a Question