Windows 7 only £30 for UK Students

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's some great news for students in the UK, as you will be able to get Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional for just £30!

We are offering students the opportunity to buy Windows 7 for an amazing discounted price, £30 for either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional.

You can take advantage of this offer from October 1st but you will need to be quick as it is for a limited time only and is only eligible to college and university students with a valid .EDU email address (an email address given by the college or university, for example: (e-mail address removed) ), a PC that is currently running a genuine copy of Windows Vista or Windows XP and can run Windows 7.

This offer will be available from 1st October so please check back then for details on how to take advantage of this great offer.
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/studentoffer/default.aspx

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My neighbours son is a student i will tell him about this offer in the morning, he is running RC1 ATM so I'm sure he will be interested, nice one Ian thanks ! :top:

Reaction score
Darn... I know a Uni student whose could get it for me, but he has a Mac netbook... darn. Could I claim he has my comp and get it that way, or is there some security against that?

That was my 100th post, and I'm now an established member! Yay! :lol:

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I gave the link to my neighbours son and he is delighted, he will be going for Windows 7 Pro.

Congrats Sycthus :D

Reaction score
Thank you!

So can you chose to go for either pro or home? It seems a bit odd that they are offering either for the same price. There must be a catch.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Well its not as if Microsoft cant afford to as i think there profit margin is quite good :D

Reaction score
Yeah, just a bit you know ;) What with the credit crunch and all, it's amazing they've not asked to be bailed out yet. I'll see what I can do, £30 for a MS OS is phenomenal!

And anyway, Macs and netbooks are becoming more popular for uni students, and since you couldn't put 7 on a mac, and netbooks have no disk drive, not many students are going to be interested!

Reaction score
I wonder how he does it?
The only way I can think of is partitioning the drive, and using a boot manager. It would work, but it would be a bit off a botchy job and would take a while, plus boot times would be longer. Better just get a good Windows laptop that will be quicker, more powerful and more versatile and use Parallels. It's not that I don't mind Macs, and I would love to have a Mac and a PC, but Windows is better in every way.

And back on topic: Few Uni students are going to be desperate enough to have both OSs that the go to the extent of partitioning and boot managers to get what they want.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
This also applies to US students, just to mention that. :)

Reaction score
http://www.software4students.co.uk/

In general, this website is an official Microsoft seller - and their prices are fantastic. Great for University students. They do many pieces of software, and should hopefully offer Windows 7 at a reduced price :)
If you are interested visit the site - Its great!

Reaction score
just bought W7 pro for £30...first OS ive ever paid for! woop woop

Reaction score
Do you get the download immediately, or do you have to wit until the 22nd?

22nd. doobie doobie doo the message thing wont let me type just "22nd" cos its too short lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Only a few weeks to wait till you're able to get it - not long now :) You can probably use the Enterprise edition trial until you get the key for Windows 7 RTM.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Only a few weeks to wait till you're able to get it - not long now :) You can probably use the Enterprise edition trial until you get the key for Windows 7 RTM.
Users are forced to reinstall if they used that special promotion media, they cannot activate the trial and because it is Enterprise software they can't directly upgrade from it without a full reinstall. Windows reinstalls are a big affair so I'm just mentioning...

Reaction score
I'm definetley going to get it, but I'm concerned about the fact it says "Upgrade edition" on all the boxes, including Porffesional edition which is the one I want. Can I install Professional edition as a custom install on it's own if it is the upgrade edition, or do I need to install it over Home, which would cost me an extra £30?

Reaction score
I'm definetley going to get it, but I'm concerned about the fact it says "Upgrade edition" on all the boxes, including Porffesional edition which is the one I want. Can I install Professional edition as a custom install on it's own if it is the upgrade edition, or do I need to install it over Home, which would cost me an extra £30?

They do all say upgrade edition but when your in the process of buying the Pro edition it has a whole "Please note" thing saying that if your on an XP machine you'll have to do a clean install....
for me thats fine since im on XP anyway, but even if you were on vista id imagine youd be able to do a clean install anyway. Sooooo no, Home edition isnt needed

Ask a Question