SOLVED Windows 7 Freezes very often

Reaction score
I'm having a serious problem for weeks now. Tried almost everything possible without result.
Tested the Motherboard (Asus M2A-VM-HDMI)
Tested Memory (4 GB) with memtest and uninstalling and reinstalling them one by one
Bios update
Unplugged all device such as USB's and video without result
Removed AVG scanner and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials
Did run an online scanner by Kaspersky, and others
Tried to delete all tasks in Taskmanager one by one
even closing down all tasks which were sometimes important
Running many safe modes
Repair of win 7
Check and repair all Hard disks also blank records
Did check device manager but no comments over there
Did a scan with Malwarebytes and even bought it because of real time security
Did replace Explorer.exe for disk maintenance by FreeCommander
Trying to stop some tasks in Source Controle

But still getting Freezes. I’ve noticed a while ago that when freezing, the hard disks are running 100% (lights of harddisks burning constantly and hearing diskdrives running) but the processor is running for 1% or 2%. There must be a process responsible for it but I can’t get a finger behind it which one.

I’m getting nowhere and need this system every day. So if you could come up with a solution it would be very welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Two Hard Disks. One 500 GB and one 1TB separated in three partitions each. Also a 1 TB Raid for live backup but that one is not connected at this moment because of all those problems I have.

Forgot to mention Registry Booster by Uniblue for Registry Cleanup and no errors found
Also forgot to mention the AMD Quadcore 9550

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
As your not using your RAID ATM did you reverse BIOS settings ?

Reaction score
I'm using an external USB Raid System which runs independently from my motherboard. So it can’t hurt my system. But talking about my Bios, It didn't make any difference.

I’m trying now to install Windows 7 on a empty Hard Disk, which I will plug in after removing the other ones, to see is it’s a hardware issue or not.

Reaction score
Do you still experience freezes in Safe Mode?

What fixed the freezing problem on my install was replacing a corrupted service .dll file with a clean copy from the repository. But isolating which service was causing the problem was quite a PITA.

If your system doesn't freeze in Safe Mode, try going into MSCONFIG (just type it in start search) and disable all the services and startup items, then reboot into normal mode and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't freeze, then your problem is most likely one of the startup items or one of the services, and those are all fixable (to a point, there's also a chance that a service is crashing because of a hardware issue, but if the system runs stable on other operating systems, I don't think there's such a high likelihood of that being true).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks to your all but I have found a solution. After all those startups and reinstallations and software applications running.
I took an old HD of 20 GB. Disconnected the two hard drive causing trouble. Installed Win 7 again on this one 20 Gb hard drive without any other software to see if the cause was an driver issue, a bios issue or something else in the configuration. Windows 7 was running perfectly. So in case of an emergency I always have a test HD behind. I Installed Malwarebytes (registered version) and saw that there was some IP activity blocked by Malwarebytes Life scanner.

IP addresses just like;
11:24:47 IP-BLOCK 91.121.134.229
11:25:10 IP-BLOCK 195.161.25.11
11:39:02 IP-BLOCK 94.96.195.2
11:39:22 IP-BLOCK 195.161.25.11
11:54:35 IP-BLOCK 94.96.211.227
11:54:55 IP-BLOCK 95.211.26.37
12:53:24 IP-BLOCK 206.53.59.72
12:53:34 IP-BLOCK 58.240.255.144
12:53:34 IP-BLOCK 222.70.246.79
12:54:24 IP-BLOCK 89.28.113.52
12:54:24 IP-BLOCK 89.28.27.251
13:08:16 IP-BLOCK 89.28.26.63
And more of those IP Blocks.:eek:

This was weird because AVG AntiVirus never noticed such IP's before trying to take the backdoor to my system. Now I knew that this could be the cause there should be a rootkit or some spyware on my system without knowing it.
I reinstalled the original Hard Drives again and installed PC Tools SpyWareDoctor on my system. I started a complete scan over more than 1.130.000 files. It took more than 8 hours (while I was sleeping) but SpyWareDoctor found 35 infections. Mostly in the restore section (files) of my system.

"What the FU.........CK!!!!!!!!" Were my thoughts but I’m raised up decently. Always be calm and relaxed said my dad. Humphhhhh!!!!!!!:mad:

SpyWareDoctor could remove those instances but could not repair windows 7 in the right configuration. Security Essentials As free solution of Microsoft didn't noticed those instances either. The online Kaspersky scanner didn't and even the Norton Symantec didn't even as Windows Defender. If you can’t rely on all those applications which do you choose?

I did a Windows 7 repair installation in safe mode. After that a startup in Safe mode. After that a startup in safe mode with internet connection. Downloaded AVG latest version and still noticed constantly freezes of my system. Uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and reinstalled AVG Paid version. After installation of AVG I had to startup the system. So I did.

I started Glarysoft (free version) right after startup to cleanup my registry and more than 189 instances were found. Started my system again and no freezes anymore.

So. No free AVG anymore which you can't rely on completely. Especially when you are a heavy user as I am. Absolutely no Microsoft Security Essentials letting rootkits trough and no more Microsoft Defender which didn’t noticed them either. I also know now that I can’t rely on all those online scanners. It’s sad but it’s the truth.

This System was infected 4 weeks ago and it was very time consuming to solve it.
It’s also hard to find real solution and solid applications to get your system free of problems.
I wish you all good luck with the solution. Sometimes live can be hard but you learn from it. :ciao:

Reaction score
Had the freezing problems and were solved by eliminating the auto-hide toolbar, used Glarysoft to clean the necessary files, changed the settings for sleep mode to ten minutes.

Reaction score
I had a freezing problem that I reported on here, and the screen used to mist over with the daft little blue circle spinning round and round. I disabled add ons one at a time, and found that it was Key Scrambler causing the problem. I have now uninstalled it and everything is running fine. Try disabling add ons on at a time the same as I did.:cool:

Ask a Question