SOLVED Windows 7 Freezes Randomly

Reaction score
At moments, it does freeze, and it doesn't come back, so I have to shut down it by pressing the radio button. It just freezes randomly, 1 day it didn't freeze all day, and the another day it froze 4 different times of the day, but maybe because I was on the computer most of the day, yet though I have been most of the day when I ran Windows XP or Windows Vista, and it didn't freeze. And at times, the screensaver also freezes, and trust me it annoys you when you're downloading or watching something. These are My Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4600i
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2793 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical
Display Card: ATI RADEON 9600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Any possible help or do I have to contact MS Support?

Thank you

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Freezing problems can be very hard to diagonse. Has it been doing this from the moment Windows 7 was installed, and does it do it in safe mode?

Can you download the Intel Chipset Identification utility and then update your chipset drivers using the download it recommends? (link)

Reaction score
Yes, it did the moment when Windows 7 was installed, and I'm not sure about in Safe mode. Like i said, it completely freezes randomly, so I'm not sure when it freezes.

For the Intel Chipset, it failed to detect the chip in the system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
windows 7 freeze

what kind of anti virus are u using? i have windows 7 64 bit have found out avg does not work with 7 i have not tried the avg 9.0 i downloaded windows security from microsoft u might try that. also download the drivers for your graphics card ati has a control center for windows 7

Reaction score
Bitdefender Internet Security 2010, and it even works for Windows 7.

Well what if ATI Radeon 9600 doesn't support Windows 7, because I tried downloading the Vista one, after restarting, things get a little messy, but I had to use system restore to get it back on Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Same problem with my version of Seven, tried on two different computers and it seems to freeze on both.

The first is a Lenovo 3000 Y310 (laptop) and the second a PC built with a friend.
I tried installing the manufacturers' recommanded drivers, then with another installation to install just drivers recommended by Windows Update....
It freezed again in the two situations.

Edit: I have an Intel graphical controller on my laptop and a nVidia 8800 gt on my desktop. So it should not be the display driver...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same problem with my version of Seven, tried on two different computers and it seems to freeze on both.

The first is a Lenovo 3000 Y310 (laptop) and the second a PC built with a friend.
I tried installing the manufacturers' recommanded drivers, then with another installation to install just drivers recommended by Windows Update....
It freezed again in the two situations.

Edit: I have an Intel graphical controller on my laptop and a nVidia 8800 gt on my desktop. So it should not be the display driver...

The problem also occures on my laptop (7738G Acer aspire)
tried many things.

*reinstall. (x86 and x64) not working
* update video drivers (not working)
* defrag with Tuneup 2010 (not working)
* called Acer Support (not working)
*tried A bios flash (not working)
* other version of AHCI x64 driver. (not worked)
and last but not least asked Microsoft for an Solution
still waiting for an Answer

(quad-core Processor (Q9000 2.0GHZ))
GEFORCE 130M NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD

solution so far. (do not install any display driver.)

Acer contact center will notify me in 7 work days.
Windows did not respond at this time. i will inform you when i know more information about this issue.
the only thing i can tell now is, that i'm 99,9% sure it is the Graphic driver
and for 50% it is the Graphic card its self.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am having similar problems. Windows 7 freezes after a quick stop. The display shows what looks like horizontal lines of various colors. I have run various diagnostics and all run fine. I have a hunch it is related to the NIVIDA graphis. The freezing is at random times. It is a BIOSTAR MCPCP ii with an AMD athelon II X2 -250. I have tried installing a fresh copy of Win7 and it has the same problem.

Reaction score
I am having similar problems. Windows 7 freezes after a quick stop. The display shows what looks like horizontal lines of various colors. I have run various diagnostics and all run fine. I have a hunch it is related to the NIVIDA graphis. The freezing is at random times. It is a BIOSTAR MCPCP ii with an AMD athelon II X2 -250. I have tried installing a fresh copy of Win7 and it has the same problem.
Yes graphics, but not just Nvidia. It's a general grahics-caused failure (with the black and grey lines horizontally across the screen... I've had it with 2 NVIDIA cards and 3 ATI cards).
Try these in the following order:
1. completely uninstall ALL graphics related drivers, and then reinstall the newest ones from the NVIDIA webpage.
2. If you still experience these crashes after that, try reseating the graphics card.

I know for me it was a problem with the ATI drivers being the junk they are (they've been having infinite-loop errors going on for about 4 years straight up until 2008 or so), and after a certain version of the drivers the problems simply disappeared.
You can also try different version of the drivers, going back further, and it might actually solve the problem.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I fixed it by removing bonjour and adobe air. The problem went away! Weird, huh?

Ask a Question