Windows 7 freezes after alternate boot

Reaction score
This is kind of an odd problem, and i dunno if anyone else has had this...

Whenever I boot from an alternate source, (Knoppix linux CD boot, windows XP from dual booting), windows 7 freezes at the login screen. It does this everytime without fail, and only after the alternate boot once.

After this happens, I turn off my computer and restart and it boots fine. I did install a dual boot and mess with the partitions, but I found this happening even after I booted from a linux cd (knoppix, and did not change anything)

So it seems that after booting from an alternate source something changes for the windows 7 boot, and after a hard reset it fixes? I'm not exactly sure, any help or guidance would be very much appreciated!

HP Pavilion dv9700
Intel duo core 2, 2.2 ghz
Windows 7 Professional

Reaction score
ya i've done that already.
Actually when I installed the windows XP partition I could not boot to windows 7, and I ran that which fixed the problem.

So i could do it again but I dont think it will be anything haha.

Reaction score
Try booting up with the W7 disk, and go into the command prompt. From there type in chkdsk /r
Hope this helps!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Installing XP on a system that already has Vista or 7 installed will nuke the bootmanager, but that can be fixed at least.

Partitions can be a tricky thing, if possible I'd suggest formatting the entire disk and reinstalling if it is that big an issue. Should be able to clone the Windows 7 partition and put it back afterwards if you wanted.

Ask a Question