Windows 7 forcing reboots after updating

Reaction score
I have now received my third Automatic Windows Update forcing me to reboot within 4 hours.

I don't mind using Windows update for all my updating needs.
I don't mind using Automatic Windows Updating.
What I do mind is Windows 7 forcing me to reboot my computer.

I choose when to reboot my computer, which is usually once or twice a week. Windows Update is good about applying updates without needing a reboot. However if a reboot is needed for all the changes to take place, Microsoft has taken it upon themselves to force a reboot within a certain time frame. This is unacceptable and will result in me turning off automatic updates. I will reboot my machine or turn it off under controlled conditions. I do not want my computer rebooting or shutting down on its own. I have grown to enjoy automatic updates but not at the expense of interrupting what I am working with at the time.

Reaction score
You know you can just postpone it indefinitely, right?
Perhaps I am mistaken about not having that option. I would rather setup my computer to do that by default. What happens if I am not present to click postpone? I may have my computer working while I am away from the desk and will not catch the count down in time to stop it.

I think I will turn off automatic updates. I was happy about downloading automatically and installing manually. However then I would find the need in turning off Windows Notifications about Windows Update service in the Action Center.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you are using the Pro or Ultimate (I don't think Home Premium unfortunately), then you can use Group Policy settings to disable the restart prompts.

Start > search for gpedit.msc. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update and enable "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations".
For Home users, you may be able to do this via the registry by creating a new 32-bit DWORD value named "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" at the following location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU) and give it a value of 1 to prevent automatic reboot while users are logged on :).

Reaction score
I received a notice last night forcing a shutdown. I did not have the option to ignore the request. The longest option was 4 hours, the default was 15 seconds. If I had not been watching the monitor, the computer would have rebooted automatically. This pisses me off because I had something going I did not want interrupted. Just so happens the 4 hour delay was long enough to let it finish first.

As of today Automatic Windows Update will be turned OFF. I don't mind auto updating but this reboot crap interrupting my windows experience is not acceptable.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have it off as well, but for an other reason. I use Office 2007 and thus get updates for it. But Windows Updates didn't seem to understand that I chose NOT to install Outlook during the setup, so I get updates for that.
Also, I don't install updates like Live stuff or Browser Choice. I check for updates manualy before shuting down and install then.

I might try Ian's reg fix on day.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You know why it does that to you don't you? Because the answer to your other post "Do you honestly think Windows 7 is poorly written?" is YES, in some aspects it is!

LMAO

You can set it up to install updates at a scheduled time if disabling it isn't what you really want. The only way it can run effective malware scans is with a reboot so you will get that at least once a month.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have it turned off too. Nothing irks me more that rebooting while I am in the middle of something.

Reaction score
You know you can just postpone it indefinitely, right?
What may I ask was you referring too. I did not have that option. And just to clarify, I was only given 15 seconds to select an option or the reboot would have been initiated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think something can be written to do what it was coded to do but if the design specs for that task are ill-conceived then it can still be classified as "poorly written" - in this case it was the design specs that were poorly written, the implementation was right on.

I have always had mine set to notify only because what Microsoft feels I should have does not always match my desires. They feel I NEED siverlight ... I don't, they feel I NEED the latest IE ... I don't, etc. But even after I said "sure, install" I screwed up and said "sure, reboot" forgetting I was downloading some files which now I must start over ... OOPS!

Reaction score
I see what you are suggesting TM.

Personally I'm not classifying this to be a design flaw or poorly written. I am however placing it under a list of disrespectfull things that Microsoft does to their customers. Any choice that is taken away from customers are disrespecting their abilities to Manage their own computers.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I turned it off on my laptop because I leave it on almost 24/7 folding. Last night there was a slew of updates for every OS (even Win 2K). If I allow it to reboot, I may be sleeping, and the project that I'm folding may start over, if it's awhile before I get to it. I'll apply the updates as soon as this job is complete (it almost is). Then I have three other OS's to update, after this long download is finished.

Reaction score
Have to say that is one of the nice things about Linux O/S. It politely holds up its hand to let you know there are updates for downloading but wont do anything till you tell it to and even then does not need a reboot.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have to say that is one of the nice things about Linux O/S. It politely holds up its hand to let you know there are updates for downloading but wont do anything till you tell it to and even then does not need a reboot.
Well, the same thing as I see it. I have mine set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to dowload and install them" You can then download them when you are away from the cpmuter, if you wish.
You then have the further option to install them when you also want to. (Would this not deal with your problem. Catilley?)
I also get all the Office updates, including Outlook, which I do not use. I have a quick run thropugh before installing and hide, permanently, those I will not want.
But you can also turn off the option "Give me updates for Microsoft Products" , which would probably stop the notification regarding all Office updates. Maybe not what Fircat may desire, but the Office updates could always be downloaded manually, when convenient.

I wasn't aware, on automatic updates, that the computer rebooted automatically after a specific time. I'll keep it in mind. Certainly doesn't do that with my set options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:lol: TM, you got a laugh out of me. :)

I think I will just leave it disabled. I can periodically check for my updates. If Microsoft want my computer to check automatically, they should have thought about it before they forcibly rebooted my PC. I operate my PC not Microsoft.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
If you are using the Pro or Ultimate (I don't think Home Premium unfortunately), then you can use Group Policy settings to disable the restart prompts.
For Home users, you may be able to do this via the registry by creating a new 32-bit DWORD value named "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" at the following location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU) and give it a value of 1 to prevent automatic reboot while users are logged on :).
Clifford, I found this 5 minutes ago and immediately thought of you ...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...update-from-forcibly-rebooting-your-computer/
I can confirm that the Auto Boot Remover mentioned further down the page at the How To Geek site works in Win 7 64bit if you're a bit timid of looking under the bonnet (US ~ hood). Whether the regedit will stop M$'s auto reboot, however......

Reaction score
Ever since the original date of this thread, I have had automatic updating turned off, because I can't stand my computer restarting on it own.

I have not made any changes to Windows Update settings. So why the F___K is my computer automatically updating and wanting to restart itself tonight. Line up MS employees, I believe I could pull the trigger I'm so pissed right now.

What is the point in making changes to setting, if the settings do not stay set. Out of all the little things that annoy me, this is the worst.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any chance you did a restore to a period prior to that setting?

Why not do what I linked to at the How-To-Geek site so you have a second line of defense if it comes back on once you disable it.

This last update actually has a little poison pill in it for future updates. Probably some next level of authentication to weed out some more illegal copies because KB976902 says if you do not install it then you cannot get future updates and that is it's only function.

Ask a Question