Windows 7 Crashing after start-up

Reaction score
Hello,

So I have been having a lot of trouble with my Windows 7 in the last few weeks/months.
I have had that every few days/weeks my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit started freezing up about 5 minutes after I started. I have done multiple re-installations of Windows 7 including a clean installation.. this worked for a while and now I'm having the same issue again.

Anyone have any idea what to do?

I'm a beginner when it comes to PC's so please try to explain things in an easy way.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hello,

So I have been having a lot of trouble with my Windows 7 in the last few weeks/months.
I have had that every few days/weeks my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit started freezing up about 5 minutes after I started. I have done multiple re-installations of Windows 7 including a clean installation.. this worked for a while and now I'm having the same issue again.

Anyone have any idea what to do?

I'm a beginner when it comes to PC's so please try to explain things in an easy way.

Thanks in advance.
According to most threads problems, you might need to post your pc specs here and tell what exactly crash you get.BSOD?

Reaction score
No BSOD, it just starts with the program I'm using not responding and then every other program I'm running including Windows explorer crashing and rendering me incapable of even starting task manager.

Reaction score
No BSOD, it just starts with the program I'm using not responding and then every other program I'm running including Windows explorer crashing and rendering me incapable of even starting task manager.
I suspect that you may have virus doing that.Try download Malwarebytes antimalware, if it also crashes, try in safe mode with net.I just supect it as virus

Reaction score
How can it be a virus when I cleared my entire harddrive when reinstalling Windows...? Can it somehow have slipped by..

EDIT: I had to run DxDiag in safe mode, because when I start up Windows normally it freezes up completely.

Attachments

Reaction score
How can it be a virus when I cleared my entire harddrive when reinstalling Windows...? Can it somehow have slipped by..

EDIT: I had to run DxDiag in safe mode, because when I start up Windows normally it freezes up completely.
I am not so big tech, but what exactly antivirus you got?What did you do once windows just fresh installed?

Reaction score
Well I have AVG Free 2013, and after I clean installed, I installed my internet driver/graphics card driver and things like Flash, Java and AVG.

Reaction score
Well I have AVG Free 2013, and after I clean installed, I installed my internet driver/graphics card driver and things like Flash, Java and AVG.
I suspect AVG.Try unistall it and tell me.I suspect avg because it is the common antivirus that cause lots of bsods and crashes.Try unistall it in safe mode with net(if needed) and try see if you get crashes again.

Reaction score
So, I have uninstalled AVG now. And still I have crashes... any thoughts?
Download malwarebytes antimalware and install,update and do quick scan.If no virus, then I dont know what you should do.Shortly a known *tech* will respond you..Or maybe try update your video drivers

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And still I have crashes
I thought you said it freezes, that it doesn't crash? If it crashed then attach the DMPs

Anti-virus programs can cause a system to slow down if they don't work well with your computer so uninstalling your A/V is not a bad idea to test but if it doesn't solve the problem then be sure to install some A/V; you can reinstall the same one or try something new but do not run unprotected.

Reaction score
Yes, I meant freezes.
Also I have done a complete reinstall of my Windows 7, including a clean all command on my harddrive. And it seems to go alright so far, I backed up the files I wanted to keep.
I'll report further if I get this problem again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have tones assigned to USB device connected and disconnected? It's just a possibility but I had a short in my mouse and it was disconnecting/connecting and would cause issues which I didn't realize until I assigned sounds to device connect/disconnect.

Another possibility is a large hosts file. This can cause a delay every time the DNS refreshes, for me this was about every 15 minutes. The solution for that in my case was to install HostsMan (links available in our Freeware DB) and remove duplicates and optimize it.

The problem with freezes is there are just so many possibilities that no one solution fixes all; you just have to keep plugging away at it.

Reaction score
Download malwarebytes antimalware and install,update and do quick scan.If no virus, then I dont know what you should do.Shortly a known *tech* will respond you..Or maybe try update your video drivers
The order of drivers installed can make a difference in some systems, I've seen Dell's and HP/Compaq's been very picky with the procedures here after a clean install.

First goes any System software - Windows patches etc (if applicable)
Then, as in virtually all systems, the Chipset Drivers is the first drivers to be installed.

Continue with
  • Video Adapter
  • Network Interface Card
  • Audio Adapter
  • Wireless Network Card
  • Touchpad, Mice, and Keyboards
  • Bluetooth

After these basic drivers are installed, then you can install the Antivirus suite, and after reboot and you're sure the system is running smooth and fine - then you connect to the internet (plug in the network cable or log on to the wireless).

Activate windows, and install a couple of hundred updates.. I think after 4-5 reboots and some 4-500 MB ( at least ;) ) of updates, you should be up2date !

Now you can start reinstalling the rest of your apps!

---

This is how I do a clean install, and I have very seldom any major problems with reinstalling my clients computer. Though I'm not saying this is a list which will work for everyone - or all systems. But if it can help you in any way - you're welcome ! :)

Ole

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have done a complete wipe of my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, and so far it seems to be working again.
I also have reconnected all my USB devices. As far as I know most of those updates/driver installations happened when I installed Windows.
All I personally installed were my internet and graphics card driver.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
As it turns out there is a problem with my hard drive, I just got an error saying my hard drive is failing and I have to backup my files(which I have done) or I could lose all of them.
Do I now have to get a new harddrive or do you have any other ideas?

Shintaro

Reaction score
What is the brand of the hard disk?

Some problems can be postponed by running the manufacturers utility.
But at the end of the day, you will need to replace the drive.

Reaction score
Where can I find that information, I don't know what brand it is. It is just the one I got with my computer.

Ask a Question