windows 7 crashing and new programs keep freezing

Reaction score
Have new acer comp.Eplorer keeps crashing,started right off the bat before I had even tried to install any programs,have bought a new printer,webcam,installed programs for windows 7,Adobe photoshop 8 ,just shuts off,quicktime crashes the comp.new web cam wont work,freezes,compatability troubleshooter shut down and gives me an error code,back-up doesnt want to work proper .I had a cheap crappy comp.with xp on it before this and never had problems except a little slow.Not sold on win.7 64 bit,if I can get it to work great but otherwise not worth the trouble,any ideas?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Could you please post your computer configuration. (Model, processor, ram, etc...)

Is Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?
Did you install or was it allready on the machine?

Thanks
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Windows was installed already,not acomp. wiz so hope Im telling you what you need to know,its a 64 bit prog. home edition,pentium (R) dual processor,2 gb of something ram? and 284 gb of memory.,nividia graphics,comp. is an acer aspire1800 ,moniter is a samsung syncmaster, would be happy for any info thanks

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes...
Try updating all your drivers, especially graphics. Also, are the softwares you installed 64bit compatible?
Also check for registry errors. Registry Clean Expert:http://www.registry-clean.net/

Fire Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have updated the driver,says I have the newest updated driver,all my programs are new and say they are wind.7 64 bit compatable,installed uniblue reg. repair did a scan and repair,didnt help at all,not sure what else to do,have uninstalled, and reinstalled ,doesnt seem to help

Reaction score
Can you return the unit to the seller?
If possible have them repair or replace.

Reaction score
I give up

Am bringing it in,cant even bring up control panel for grapics,just tells me have wrong version of driver,cant re- evaluate os #.Stops at video card and quits,thats the driver and program it came with so guess they can fix it,shouldnt be having this many problems with a new comp.Another question I am wondering about is if its new,why is there in installed updates an install done aug. of last year,when I have only had the comp. for a week?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Good Luck on this one! Sounds an old unit that has been sitting around for a while.

Reaction score
Am bringing it in,cant even bring up control panel for grapics,just tells me have wrong version of driver,cant re- evaluate os #.Stops at video card and quits,thats the driver and program it came with so guess they can fix it,shouldnt be having this many problems with a new comp.Another question I am wondering about is if its new,why is there in installed updates an install done aug. of last year,when I have only had the comp. for a week?
That is a VERY VERY interesting question. Sounds to me like you may have found the explanation for all those unexplained problems. That would be an excellent question for the party that sold you this unit.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There is one explanation for that (Aug 09). At that time, prior to the release of Windows 7, computer sales were down bad. There was the offer for a free Windows 7 disc, once it was released, not many bit at the offer. You don't really think those computers were thrown in the dumpster, do you? In my recovery partition, there are some similar dates for installation (July 09). In fact, when I had Linux on this computer, on the startup screen with the option of what partition to boot, the recovery partition shows as Vista, the other Windows 7. The OEM's took those computers, modified the recovery partition a little, loaded Windows 7 on them, and put many of them on sale. In fact, mine was discounted $100. I know, because I had been eyeballing this one, one from Dell and one from Toshiba. All three were available during the mid summer of last year. Instead of buying as soon as 7 was released, I laid back and waited to see who would blink first. HP did, reducing prices on a lot of computers. It was in a PC World article that I discovered the three of them. They were all budget models, but ranked high in quality for the money. I just went out to where the box the computer was in (the OEM box), there's a date tag, 2009/08/30. That's almost two months before 7 was released. But that recovery partition shown as Vista (by Linux) tells a lot. No corporation is going to trash that many computers over an OS change.

Reaction score
asked that?

asked about that,cant get a straight answer,tried to do a back-up and recieved a mess. that I had a ghost program.am thinking not a new comp^.The post from catilley 1092 makes alot of sense ,Anyway brought it back and recieved a new comp.Their repair guy said it was the motherboard and needed parts,no deal,new one or I would go somewhere else

Reaction score
Asked that ?

accidently post a reply to you under catilley 1092,lol,they are blaming the motherboard but am thinking catilley 1092 is rite ,makes sense,anyway the new one is working great so far

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
A bad motherboard is a very distinct possibility. I had a motherboard go bad a few years ago and did exactly the same thing you're describing here.

The biggest culprits on motherboard issues are bad or defective capacitors and MOSFETs.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There was one other thing about my computer. When the OS was changed from Vista to Windows 7, they got the file system screwed up. When I attempted to do my first backup (it's somewhere on this forum), the backup wouldn't go through over a single file being out of place or a missing folder. I tried a few times to no avail. So I reinstalled the OS (through the recovery partition), redownloaded & installed my programs fresh, ran the backup, and finally it worked. They (HP) were in such a hurry to convert all of these systems to 7, they didn't even take the time to check the integrity of the file systems. I can't say one way or the other what happened in your case, smiie3232, but I have those same way back dates on my computer, too. There's no telling how many other users went through the same thing. I hope that things works out for you now.:)

Ask a Question