Windows 7 Crashing after start-up

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If SMART is telling you to replace your HD then yes it should be replaced. It doesn't know when it will fail but it has detected issues that suggest it will fail eventually.

You can install SIW from our Freeware DB and it can likely tell you info on your hard drive (Hardware .... storage) or simply open the case and pull the HD out and look at it.

Reaction score
Manufacturer: Seagate
Model: ST31000528AS

So there is no way to fix this problem other than replacing my HD?

Reaction score
This morning when I started my PC I got the message that there was an invalid disk or something. At least I could not start my PC back up again and also couldn't install Windows.

So I have to replace my hard disk now?

Reaction score
This morning when I started my PC I got the message that there was an invalid disk or something. At least I could not start my PC back up again and also couldn't install Windows.

So I have to replace my hard disk now?
Cant you reinstall windows anymore?Try unplug and plug your hard drive.If the problem keeps, then wait for Shintaro get back online to give you more help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help,
I still have one question. Is there a specific kind of HDD I need for my PC, connection (cable) or something?
Because we had an old PC lying around and the HDD in that didnt fit in my PC.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Older would be IDE (also sometimes called PATA). SATA is most common now. An IDE connection uses a ribbon cable about 2.5 inches wide. SATA uses a much smaller connection about an inch wide.

Also anything 2TB or larger will come with drivers because W7 did not ship with support for drives that large

NOTE: Windows Backup does not support large sector drives so you will not be able to use windows back-up on any 2TB or more, but there are alternatives such as Macruim reflect Free.

Reaction score
Ok thanks,

Do you think these HD problems could be the reason for the freezing? Or do I have to look for another solution for that?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You eliminate the possibilities one by one. It could be.

Reaction score
I sure hope it is, everyone thanks for the help so far.
I'll report back if I get more problems.

EDIT: Or when it is fixed.

Ask a Question