Windows 7 crashes at bootup

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I had a bad light switch needing replacement. I did some searching online for 3 way light switches, then went and turned off the breaker for the stairway lighting. Unfortunately, that was also the power to my computer.

So, when I attempt to power on the computer, the BIOS goes through it's deal, then the windows screen comes up just for a few moments, then a quick blue screen and reboot. It then goes to a (recommended) windows repair or start windows normally option screen.

I tried the Windows Repair and it says it cannot fix the problem automatically.

I didn't have a lot of time to mess with the computer before I had to go to work, although I did get the switch replaced.

What should my next step be?

128 gb SSD is the boot hard drive.

all of my drives are recognized in the UEFI.

Thanks

Reaction score
Update

I used the Windows 7 DVD and changed my boot to the DVD drive.

Chose the repair option.

Now when I rebooted, it showed two options of booting into windows:

Windows 7

or

Windows 7 Home Premium (recovered)

I chose the recovered one and it brought me back to my normal desktop as if everything is fixed.

Now do I just change my boot option back to the SSD and all is good?

Reaction score
So far, when I reboot, I have to continue to select the 'recovered' Windows 7 in order to boot up to my desktop.

Is there a way to have this option selected automatically or forced my system to acknowledge this as the only option?

Thanks

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried selecting the Windows 7 option? (You don't mention it)
But:
Open Start.
Type msconfig in the Search box.
On the System Configuration window, click on the Boot tab.
You will see two options listed. Highlight the option that corresponds to Windows 7 Ultimate and click Delete.
When you boot now, it should go straight into the recovered desktop, without fuss.

Alternatively, in the same (msconfig) windows, you can select the recovered windows as the default.

Reaction score
I did try selecting the non-recovered option and it BSODs/restarts a few moments after beginning the Windows load screen.

Reaction score
I went into msconfig like you said and deleted the first instance of Windows 7.

That made the recovered win 7 the new default.

Works great now!

Thank you very much.

Ask a Question