Blue Screen and Crashes - Windows 7 Ultimate

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure what's going on with my PC but it crashes 1-2 times a day on average and I lose everything I have open, this is getting very frustrating. I get a blue screen and an auto-reboot.

When I reboot I get some error codes and I click find a solution, but it does nothing but open my internet browser and load the homepage.

Is there any info I can gather to supply you all to further assist?

Thank you,
Dan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure what's going on with my PC but it crashes 1-2 times a day on average and I lose everything I have open, this is getting very frustrating. I get a blue screen and an auto-reboot.

When I reboot I get some error codes and I click find a solution, but it does nothing but open my internet browser and load the homepage.

I attached the dump files to this thread.

I have a custom built machine, below are the specs:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate - Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (125W) Quad Core Socket AM3, 3.2GHz, 8Mb Cache, 1800MHz HT, 45nm (HDZ955FBGMBOX)
Asus M4A785T-M/CSM Socket AM3 AMD 785G Chipset + ATI SB710 ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics (HDMI) DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066Mhz 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 6x SATA 3Gb/s 8-Ch HD Audio GigaLAN 12x USB2.0 uATX
OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel
Thermaltake Silent PurePower W0023RUC 560Watt PSU Black w/ Active PFC
Seagate Barracuda (ST31000528AS) 7200.12 SATA 3.0Gb/s 1000GB (1TB) 32MB Cache (OEM)
Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache (OEM)

Thank you,
Dan

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks,

I have attached the dump files to this thread.

I have a custom built machine, below are the specs:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate - Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (125W) Quad Core Socket AM3, 3.2GHz, 8Mb Cache, 1800MHz HT, 45nm (HDZ955FBGMBOX)
Asus M4A785T-M/CSM Socket AM3 AMD 785G Chipset + ATI SB710 ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics (HDMI) DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066Mhz 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 6x SATA 3Gb/s 8-Ch HD Audio GigaLAN 12x USB2.0 uATX
OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel
Thermaltake Silent PurePower W0023RUC 560Watt PSU Black w/ Active PFC
Seagate Barracuda (ST31000528AS) 7200.12 SATA 3.0Gb/s 1000GB (1TB) 32MB Cache (OEM)
Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache (OEM)

Thank you,
Dan

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

Please Install Windows 7 SP1

Then please run the following:
1/ chkdsk
2/ Memtest86 (At least 6 passes)

Please run Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.
I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Let us know how you go.

Reaction score
I appreciate the response, thank you sir.

I ran the chkdsk and memtest (all passed).

I ran the Drive Verifier. My PC usually crashes once a day or once every 2 days on average. After I enabled the Drive Verifier and rebooted, I got the blue screen with in 1 minute. I rebooted and with in 2 minutes I got the blue screen again.
I got a different blue screen message when DV was enabled, not the same as the inital one. New msg "A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty drier currently on the kernel stack must be replaced with a working version."

See attached for the dumps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have not upgraded to SP1, it is important that you do that. The easiest way is to allow Windows Updates to run.

Also the last BSOD indicates it was caused by Lavasoft's Ad-aware so you might uninstall that.

Reaction score
That fixed it TM! How did you know about Ad-aware causing this? Do you suggest any freeware adware programs?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First I open your miniDMP with Bluescreenview and sort it so it the drivers running when it bombed are highlighted, then I look up the drivers, excluding the windows kernal, at http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.php to find the product/maker.

ddcz-DmpAnalysis.jpg

Also from the DMP I can see you have a 64 bit OS and that you are running version 7600, not 7601 so I know you had not installed SP1.

If you still haven't installed SP1 I still recommend you do so.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use several methods/products to block ads and malware.

First off, For browsing, I use Firefox with two add-ons: ad block plus and NoScript. You can find these add-ons by having FireFox search for additional add-ons and then typing in their names in the search. (Recent article on Ad Block Plus.)

Second I run Spybot Search and Destroy.

I do not allow the active scanner to run because it practically brings my computer to a screeching halt so I uninstalled the scanner service (settings > system services > Scanner Service > Uninstall). What is important is the Immunize option, which blocks numerous tracking cookies as well as adds entries into your computers Hosts file.

Third I run a product called Hosts Manager.

Hosts Manager is an easy way to import lists of ad sites into your Hosts file. When an address is in your Hosts file then the computer never actually fetches info from that site, it just returns. There are a handful of sites online that maintain a list of web addresses to avoid and with HostsMan you pick one or all of them and about every 90 days you tell Hosts Manager to pull updates from those sites and add them to your hosts file. Then you select Remove duplicates and Optimize ... this takes out all the duplicates from Spybot(above) plus the lists you added with HostsMan and sorts the rest so your computer can use the hosts file faster.

HostsMan also allows you to easily enable/disable the Hosts file; this is needed if you watch free videos online which require you to disable ad blocking software. HostsMan puts an icon in your system tray, simply right-click and uncheck "enable hosts" (just remember to enable them again once you finish your videos).

Last edited:

Ask a Question