SOLVED Windows 7 cannot be installed to this disk error

Reaction score
The MS W7 upgrade advisor says this machine (AMD dual Athlon 64bit, 5GB memory) can upgrade to W7.
The machine has two HDD, 250GB (with dual boot of Vista 64 Home and XP 32 Home),
and 500 GB previously accessed from these two OSes, but now with all files removed.

When I start the W7 64bit install to the 500GB drive I get the message
"
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.
"
I have an ASUS mobo with Phoenix BIOS.
As the disk was previously working and the BIOS does not seem to have a controller option I'm note sure where to go next.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

tia

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As you have removed all the data from the 500gbs, at the install stage, choose customise (which you are probably doing) and format the whole of the 500 Gb first. By default it is a "quick" format and wont take too long.

Reaction score
Thanks, you are correct that I was using the customise install option.
Note that I was running the install from Vista.
Even with the 500GB drive formatted I still got the error quoted above.

I also tried by booting from the install DVD.
It still gives the Windows cannot be installed message.

Reaction score
Not tried this method of installation but could be worth giving a try...

Create an XP system disk
Remove 250Gb HDD and set the 500Gb as the Master
Boot using XP System disk and partition/reformat the 500Gb as if it was a new drive.
Install W7 from the DVD and test
Reconnect 250Gb and 500Gb as was originally and add W7 to the Multi-Boot menu.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Note that I was running the install from Vista.
You're doing an upgrade install which is causing a LOT of problems for people. I recommend you do a clean install, also called the custom install.

Remove all previous partitions and start fresh with new partitions. It should install then with no issues.

Reaction score
Yes, I am doing a custom (clean install) [not an upgrade install).
However I still want my Vista and XP systems to be available afterwards,
so I don't want to remove the C and D partitions, or format the 250GB drive.

From what I can see this means that I need to custom install W7 to the "E" drive 500GB disk.
If I remove the 250GB disk W7 will by default call the 500GB disk the "C" drive and install to it.

Its not clear to me what this means
"This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. "
or how to rectify it,
especially given the upgrade advisor didn't find fault.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have found with Windows 7 that its best to remove all hard drives except the one you want to install it on. Windows 7 is a little finicky when it come to this aspect. At least, it was for me.

Try it and see how it works out for you.

Reaction score
I have found with Windows 7 that its best to remove all hard drives except the one you want to install it on.
If I do this Windows 7 creates the drive as a "C" drive. This means that I then have two "C" drives when I add the other drive back in.
How do I get round this? Is it possible to specify the drive letter to be used when installing Windows 7?

Reaction score
If I do this Windows 7 creates the drive as a "C" drive. This means that I then have two "C" drives when I add the other drive back in.
How do I get round this? Is it possible to specify the drive letter to be used when installing Windows 7?
Hi skiwi

You are making a problem out of nothing. There can only be one C:. The drive you boot to will assign the boot partition the drive letter C. All other drive will follow in sequence unless assigned differently within the operating system.

Reaction score
You are right there can be only one "C" drive. This is exactly the point I am making.

I already have an existing multi boot system with a "C" drive, and a "D" drive, see previous posts for details.
I have a separate HDD "E" on which I am trying to do a clean "custom" install.
The previous poster suggested I disconnect the existing drives.
If I do that W7 will install itself on the drive which it names "C". This would mean my existing XP and Vista systems do not work when reconnected..

Reaction score
Your C: and D: will change if you boot to the Windows 7 Disk. C: will then be assigned to Windows 7 disk and not Vista.

Reaction score
I do have a question though.

Which motherboard do you have?
Which drive ports are you connected too with the drives?

Reaction score
Asus M2NPV-MX motherboard.
Connected to SATA3 and SATA4

thanks

Reaction score
I just had a look at the motherboard manual and didnt see anything that might keep the ports from excepting the install.

Anyway if you follow Nibiru2012 suggestion by disconnecting the Vista drive while doing the install. You will not have any issues when connecting back later. Once you have Windows installed we can work with setting up the multi-boot menu then.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
One of the images you posted was EXACTLY the problem I described to you. You need to disconnect the extra drives and install to the drive you want to!

Even though you should be able to install to the Drive 0 partition 1, Windows 7 won't do it if there is more than one hard drive connected while attempting to do the install. Windows 7 is finicky in that regard, believe me I have tried to find a way to get around it, but haven't yet.

Disconnect the extra drives and install!!

Also don't pre-name the hard drive ahead of time. Leave it blank.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks

I tried installing W7 from the DVD (rather than Vista) on the 500GB drive.

It names the drive "C" without any input from me, even though both XP and Vista know the drive as "E".

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks

I tried installing W7 from the DVD (rather than Vista) on the 500GB drive.

It names the drive "C" without any input from me, even though both XP and Vista know the drive as "E".
You state you "tried" installing W7, did it work?

Why are you still keeping Vista and XP when you have Windows 7? It's the best OS from MS ever!

Reaction score
Why indeed

Why indeed?
XP is way more compatible with older software than Vista, and until I prove that W7 and the XP virtual machine can match it I'm keeping XP.

As for Vista, well it's on the list to go, but not until I am confident that everything I need has been migrated to W7. I'd be stupid to just blow it away trusting the 'easy transfer' to have found and moved everything.

Sorry, but I'm a realist and have been burnt too many times by assuming that I have everything I need too quickly. So Vista and XP stay for the mean time.

And heck, W7 is so great that I haven't even managed to install it the way I want it yet, which is why I am posting on this list seeking help!
(See the message documented in previous posts that I get when trying to install W7 and keep my multiboot Vista and XP systems).

Last edited:

Ask a Question