Windows 7 and iTunes

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Real quick will taking ownership of files do anything to my computer if it is a file that i'm not supposed to have ownership of? I don't know enough about the permissions part of these folders to feel comfortable enough to just start taking ownership of stuff! LOL.
If I were you, I'd stick to program files and documents. ;D

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You don't have to take ownership of entire drives... Just stick to the folders you need but have insufficient access to. I never do OS upgrades, personally, but I do reformat & reinstall Windows, Linux, etc, and frequently find that the new Windows installation doesn't seem to think I have the right to all the contents of my external drive. So long as you haven't disabled UAC, and stay out of the hidden system files in general, I don't foresee you having problems.

Reaction score
SOLUTION

Basically what i ended up doing was using easy cleaner to uninstall all the files that came with the itunes app. Then I went to their site and downloaded the full program. After that I saved it and attempted to run it again. I got the same error. So I went to the iTunes folder and took ownership and then right clicked went into properties and gave the administrator rights to the file as well. I also had to change the owner under the advanced tab too!!! But it worked. Why it worked I have no idea nor do I haven any idea why I had to do all that for stinkin iTunes.. YUK... Computers give me a headache. They are more like kids then kids are! So picky!!! :) Thanks everyone for all your help! i wouldn't have figured this one out without you guys. This forum ROCKS and I will be using it quite often... Love the responses! They are quick and easy to follow! :) Thanks again! :beer:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I'd like to add that they are paranoid. They lock up everything! No access to the insides of macs or iphones/ipods, can't install OSX on any other than a mac, etc...

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Oh, and I'd like to add that they are paranoid. They lock up everything! No access to the insides of macs or iphones/ipods, can't install OSX on any other than a mac, etc...
If you are referring to Apple, I can understand their desire to restrict OSX to their own hardware. Why would people still buy a Mac if they could run OSX on a regular $500 Dell?

Reaction score
People more techy then I have created 'hackintoshs' running OSX on a beige box. Some are successful others less so, from what I've heard.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just done a search on one of those "hackintoshes", I saw how to construct one, including tinkering with the OS files. Isn't that the same as running a "cracked" version of Windows?

Reaction score
I just done a search on one of those "hackintoshes", I saw how to construct one, including tinkering with the OS files. Isn't that the same as running a "cracked" version of Windows?

I honestly don't know, if you asked an Apple seller they'd tell you it can't be done due to different hardware architecture but I've seen discussions about it and know it can and is done. The main reasons from what I can gather is to get your preferred O/S onto a machine that allows you to be able to individually replace hardware as opposed to the all in one system of the imacs. Horses for courses as they say, in my humble opinion there are aspects from all that are worthy.

Maybe the future will one day be for a machine that just lets you make it look like whatever you want it to be, an O/S that is so customizable that it can look like any existing O/S and run any program that's thrown at it.

Might be a little boring but wouldn't it be nice to have something just just worked, all the time, never having to hunt for drivers or codecs. Turn it on and away you go.

My understanding of a 'cracked' Windows was an 'acquired' copy that has either a fake generated registration code or does not ask for one at all.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's not quite the same as a cracked copy of Windows, although from a certain viewpoint it's in a similar vein...

The only reason to run a cracked Windows is if you don't have a legitimate copy. Strictly speaking, that isn't the case for Hackintosh; you can have a licensed copy of OSX, and since OSX doesn't use cd keys, there's no need to crack it in the usual sense.

However, OSX is built to run on Apple's hardware, and running it on non-Apple hardware is against its EULA. How much sleep you lose over violating the EULA, especially if you own a legit copy of OSX, is entirely up to you of course. To my knowledge Apple hasn't actively done anything to fight the Hackintosh "movement."

Furthermore, some changes to the OS have to be made by injecting files into the installation media in order to get it to install on non-Apple hardware. Supposedly OSX runs pretty well on Intel-based Hackintoshes, but AMDs have more trouble, and despite a fair effort I was unable to turn my PC into a Hackintosh.

The real concern with Hackintosh comes with the fact that making required changes to the data on the installation disc is above the experience scale of most users. I've been using PCs for 20 years and I found the stuff relatively confusing. That is why most people who fiddle with Hackintosh installations download their pre-patched installation media from torrents. So even if they own a copy of OSX that's not likely to be the copy they try to install. If you're downloading an OS from a torrent, there is almost no way of being sure something malicious has not been added to it - trojans, worms, viruses, keyloggers, whatever.

Personally, I try to respect a software EULA to a degree to which it seems reasonable, but if I have a legitimate retail copy of an operating system, I will install it on whatever architecture I damn well please. I think the Hackintosh stuff is fun to explore, and OSX is a great operating system, but it's not exactly something I would recommend, or even assist with.

Last edited:

Ask a Question