Windows 7 and iTunes

Reaction score
I recently updated from Window's Vista ultimate to windows professional 7. I had to do a clean installation. I reinstalled iTunes and it's working. What i'm having a problem with is that there is an upgrade (newer version) that I can't get to install. It downloads and half way through installation it says this error:
The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\SyncServices\Schemas\...\Windows. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system admin...

I am the administratior and if i right click on the set up it doesn't give me the option to run as admin.. What gives I've been lookin and lookin for 2 days now.. I'm lost. Anyone else have this problem?

2. When I upgrade from vista to 7, it made a windows.old file and i was told i could delete this file as long as i didn't need any of the programs from it. So I did. Well before i deleted it I took out the games like spider solitare and freecell because 7 didn't have any. They don't work. is there somewhere i can get those from microsoft? just curious. not a big deal, just figured I would ask while i was here!

Thanks for any help in advance! :eek::dontknow:

Attachments

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
blizzard1086, welcome to the forum! I can't help you with the Apple problem, but Windows 7 does have games. Go to the Start Menu, type "turn Windows features on or off", w/o the quotes, click onto it, give it a couple of seconds. Games are the first item listed. Make sure it's checked, you can even expand the list to see them all. Hope this helps! Post back anytime you need help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If I were you I would get rid of iTunes, its junk and takes over the computer. Unless you use it to buy and download your audio files. Remember it's made by crApple

MediaMonkey is free and will sync with iPods. Much better program too.

Helium Music Manager has a free version too and is iPod compatible. Very good also.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
All of Apple's products are that way, even Safari. Just to install a browser, they install Apple Software Update & Bonjour, too. You're right, they're space hogs! I've already been through them on XP, and don't intend to install their crap again.

Reaction score
I use itunes on my machine.. Not had an issue really. I just think it's so amusing being on both Apple and windows forums and owning both machines, to hear all the 'mines better then yours' stuff in both camps... boys and their toys... lolololo

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I agree, Itunes is BAD, get rid of it! I managed to save 2gigs of space just by uninstalling it. Also, Itunes on my computer, has SQUARE corners! And that just looks horid!
I am sure that MediaMonkey and others are far beter and Ipod Comaptible, but sadly for me, I use an Ipod touch, so I'm kinda forced to have Itunes for software updates, apps, etc...
Though, I have to say, some features are nice for people who have many ipods: home sharing.

Catilley1092 said:
All of Apple's products are that way, even Safari. Just to install a browser, they install Apple Software Update & Bonjour, too. You're right, they're space hogs! I've already been through them on XP, and don't intend to install their crap again.
Also, when you uninstall Itunes or Safari, it leaves all the Apple Update Junk behind!

Fire Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I use itunes on my machine.. Not had an issue really. I just think it's so amusing being on both Apple and windows forums and owning both machines, to hear all the 'mines better then yours' stuff in both camps... boys and their toys... lolololo
That's alright Mychael; we know you have been brainwashed by the Cult of Jobs! :eek:

Nearly as insidious of a Cult if not worse than Scientology! :(

There is hope however, but we must do a thorough deprogramming as soon as possible by forcing you to watch every Arnold Schwarzenegger movie ever made, followed by every Chuck Norris movie ever made.

After that you should be fairly sane again... barring any more "1984" style commercials. That when the mass programming effect began!

Of course at the time I was completely :canabis::stoned: so it didn't affect me! LMAO!

Whatever you do, DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Reaction score
I will try the window's feature thing when I get home from work today! Thanks!

As far as iTunes goes, I like it. We have multiple computers and 5 ipods in our family with 2 of them being iPod Touch. I did check out mediamonkey last night from a previous post I read! I would get it but will it work with my touch? I do use iTunes to purchase my music. Too worried about getting it for free and having the FBI show up on my doorstep to make a name for themselves and all the virus's that come along with that. I'm not savvy enough to fix my own serious computer issues.. i know enough just to be dangerous! LOL. I'm tryin though. I always give it a good shot before I seek professional help!!!!!!!!!! hahaahahah.. Thanks again for all the suggestions! I will find something eventually!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, Media Monkey is compatible with the iPod Touch. Below is all the Apple players it is compatible with.

Apple

iPod (including 5th Generation) iPod Classic iPod Mini (1st and 2nd Generation) iPod Nano (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Generation) iPod Photo iPod Shuffle (1st and 2nd Generation) iPod Touch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen) iPhone (iPhone2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone3GS) iPad see iPad homepage

For a complete list of all makes of players which Media Monkey is compatible with go HERE.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I agree, Itunes is BAD, get rid of it! I managed to save 2gigs of space just by uninstalling it. Also, Itunes on my computer, has SQUARE corners! And that just looks horid!
I am sure that MediaMonkey and others are far beter and Ipod Comaptible, but sadly for me, I use an Ipod touch, so I'm kinda forced to have Itunes for software updates, apps, etc...
Though, I have to say, some features are nice for people who have many ipods: home sharing.

Also, when you uninstall Itunes or Safari, it leaves all the Apple Update Junk behind!

Fire Cat
Yes, Fire Cat, I found that out, too. Simply removing an Apple program involves a little extra time. I use CCleaner's program remover for this purpose. Still, you have to get rid of each program separately. I have never understood why extra programs, like Apple Software Update are installed on your computer, over wanting to use Safari. There is Bonjour, too. I'm not going to down Apple, because I believe in the right to run what you wish. It's your money, spend it the way you want. But I just don't care for Apple, period. If Microsoft were to no longer exist (the chance of that happening is as great as ice cream being served in hell), I'd simply adopt Linux. I've learned more about it now, and their OS's (I have Mint 8 64 bit) are much better than before. I'm not going to contribute to Steve's $40 billion in cash reserves that he has accumulated over the years, and I'm not going to put myself in a position to be told "upgrade with us, or be kicked to the curb". He is a highly intelligent businessman and knows how to market products, even against all odds, but I want no part of his "p***y boy" club.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
From what you are saying, it sounds like you are trying to update iTunes from within the iTunes program. Have you tried to just download the full install on its own and then run it?

Reaction score
If I get rid of ITunes, how do I sync my IPhone

With my IPhone it needs to always be updated, synched and backed up so if I get rid of ITunes, then how can I accomplish all this?
Yes, Fire Cat, I found that out, too. Simply removing an Apple program involves a little extra time. I use CCleaner's program remover for this purpose. Still, you have to get rid of each program separately. I have never understood why extra programs, like Apple Software Update are installed on your computer, over wanting to use Safari. There is Bonjour, too. I'm not going to down Apple, because I believe in the right to run what you wish. It's your money, spend it the way you want. But I just don't care for Apple, period. If Microsoft were to no longer exist (the chance of that happening is as great as ice cream being served in hell), I'd simply adopt Linux. I've learned more about it now, and their OS's (I have Mint 8 64 bit) are much better than before. I'm not going to contribute to Steve's $40 billion in cash reserves that he has accumulated over the years, and I'm not going to put myself in a position to be told "upgrade with us, or be kicked to the curb". He is a highly intelligent businessman and knows how to market products, even against all odds, but I want no part of his "p***y boy" club.

Reaction score
iTunes is amazing! Many people fail to realize that actually, iTunes isn't just about playing music. It's about downloading music, podcasts and films, and in a way that is legal and aids that entertainment industry. WMP and Media Monkey don't stand a chance compared to iTunes clean, user friendly interface. And actually, moving libraries around is very easy, and missing music can easily be replaced.
Your problem isn't that iTunes isn't working, the folder that your trying to reach is read only, go the the folder, go Right click>Properties, and un-click the read-only box.
That should work better. Enjoy iTunes!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
iTunes is amazing! Many people fail to realize that actually, iTunes isn't just about playing music. It's about downloading music, podcasts and films, and in a way that is legal and aids that entertainment industry. WMP and Media Monkey don't stand a chance compared to iTunes clean, user friendly interface. And actually, moving libraries around is very easy, and missing music can easily be replaced.
Your problem isn't that iTunes isn't working, the folder that your trying to reach is read only, go the the folder, go Right click>Properties, and un-click the read-only box.
That should work better. Enjoy iTunes!
I agree, that's why I use it. Though, it lacks a nice UI, it's slow to startup and it installs junk with it, that you never use, and that won't even uninstall. And, it sometimes just randomly deletes music out of your library.

I buy and download the music, but then move it all to my external HDD and transfers it to my PC with WMC and WMP. Oh, and also Zune Software.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I think instead of telling him what he should use instead of the program he wants to use, we could try helping him with the problem he posted about. I mean, I'm no fan of iTunes for Windows either (I don't want that garbage on my PC), although the OSX version is completely different species and a pleasure to use.

Since this is a permissions issue, you could try taking ownership of the directory it's complaining you don't have auth for.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I think instead of telling him what he should use instead of the program he wants to use, we could try helping him with the problem he posted about. I mean, I'm no fan of iTunes for Windows either (I don't want that garbage on my PC), although the OSX version is completely different species and a pleasure to use.

Since this is a permissions issue, you could try taking ownership of the directory it's complaining you don't have auth for.
Good point! ;).

I've attached taking ownership to this post. When you click on "Take ownership" on a folder, UAC will pop up, so click yes. Then it will open a command prompt and take ownership of that folder. it will automatically close, and you now have all permissions in this folder!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Attachments

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I think instead of telling him what he should use instead of the program he wants to use, we could try helping him with the problem he posted about.
You are correct CORE! Some of us here hijacked the thread and that was wrong. For my part I apologize to the OP. :itsme:

From now on I'll just stay out of iTunes related threads or posts since I don't subscribe to the Cult of Jobs.

Reaction score
This worked!! Thanks now I can play stupid spider solitare!!! LOL.. :) :D

blizzard1086, welcome to the forum! I can't help you with the Apple problem, but Windows 7 does have games. Go to the Start Menu, type "turn Windows features on or off", w/o the quotes, click onto it, give it a couple of seconds. Games are the first item listed. Make sure it's checked, you can even expand the list to see them all. Hope this helps! Post back anytime you need help.

Reaction score
I took ownership of the entire iTunes file.. that didn't work.. I think I'm just going to use my thing to uninstall it and then reinstall it and see if it will update. I'm at a loss. It's still giving me the same error and I don't understand why. So... I was just trying to avoid having to go through and make it find all my music again.. :eek:

Good point! ;).

I've attached taking ownership to this post. When you click on "Take ownership" on a folder, UAC will pop up, so click yes. Then it will open a command prompt and take ownership of that folder. it will automatically close, and you now have all permissions in this folder!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Real quick will taking ownership of files do anything to my computer if it is a file that i'm not supposed to have ownership of? I don't know enough about the permissions part of these folders to feel comfortable enough to just start taking ownership of stuff! LOL.

Ask a Question