SOLVED window 7 home vrs window pro or windows 8

Reaction score
Hi, will I gain more from w7 home or pro ? or w8 I'm trying to learn as much as I can how to use them

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Gain more in what way?

Personally as a Windows 7 user I find the Windows 8 interface annoying, so unless you install something like Start 8 (which makes a start menu like Win 7), you WILL LEARN a new interface (so you gain that).

As for the difference between W7 Home Premium and Professional, with Professional you can use Virtual PC - XP mode if you need to run programs in a 32-bit XP environment. Pro also allows you to use the Group Policy Editor, so if you need that then you need Pro.

Reaction score
I have a couple old xp programs that have not used in about 5-6 years now, so they will work on win 7 pro that would be nice to get them back.
what would be the best way to add win 7 pro to my home 64 bit. do a complete download or upgrade to win pro 7
will win 8 do the same as win 7 pro run the xp stuff

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have not upgraded to Win8 so I wouldn't say I have all the answers. W7 Pro allows for the free download of Virtual PC, Win8 uses what is called Hyper-V (which I've read will only work if you have 64-bit Win8). There are other free virtual environments available that can be run on W7 Home Premium and in 32-bit Win8.

Once you have a Virtual machine you have to install an OS on it, W7 Pro under Virtual PC includes licensing for XP (XP mode) but none of the other virtual environments, including Hyper-V include an XP OS, so you will need the OS and a license to install it.

In my experience the only thing I use XP mode for is to play Internet Hearts, because it wasn't included in W7. Most XP programs work fine on W7 but programs developed for Win95 or Win98 may be 16-bit and therefore won't run natively in a 64-but W7 environment. So try them in compatibility-mode but if they are 16-bit, for only two programs, I would probably just try to replace them.

What is installed on your computer right now? If you currently have W7 Home Premium installed then you could use the Anytime Upgrade to get to Professional, but it will cost you around $100 and I would look at replacing those two old pieces of software rather than doing that. So tell us what OS and version you have now.

Reaction score
windows 7 home premium 64 bit the dyno 2000 disk for building race engines and so on it was set up for win 95/98/nt /2000
ok I need to ask what Virtual machine and how do I get it on mt pc I'am all new to this but I want to learn all I can. witch do you think is better to do buy win 7 pro and reset my pc or just upgrade what is the differance and cost

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Links to virtual engines are available in our Freeware DB (near the bottom) but the real issue would be buying a 32-bit copy of windows XP + license key.

As for Dyno 2000, I've never heard of it and when I search it seems to come up with some desktop application of the same name, so is it THIS? If so, it doesn't look like they have kept up with the product, they apparently haven't even kept up with the copyrights (bottom of the page) since 2007, and I can't even find any mention of supported OSes.

So if you think this is important to you then two options:

See how much it would cost to get a version of WinXP and a product key and then use one of the other virtualization products listed in the Freeware DB
-OR-
go to control panel > anytime upgrade and see how much it would cost to Anytime upgrade to Pro. If it is more than $110 then I would probably just buy a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM DVD from Newegg, but that would mean you have to back up all your data/settings to another hard drive/flash drive, install the new OS, install all your software, and restore your data. Anytime upgrade you don't reinstall anything (although a back-up to be safe is still recommended but rarely does anything go wrong so it is just a safety precaution) so you have to weigh the value of your time too. Once at Pro I would use Virtual PC - XP mode.

Reaction score
I'ts dyno 2000 by Motion software inc. that is not the one they may no longer be around. I can live with out it
I'm still thinking what to do about OS

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Motion Software
They have a newer product "Dynomation 5" that runs in Win7 64-bit but it costs $500

A virtual environment running XP would definitely be cheaper to set up than that.

Reaction score
I am using Windows 7 pro and i don't have any problem with it, so far..

Reaction score
what is the best way to get win 7 pro. buy it or a complete install or upgrade will I get a key for it

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You currently are running W7 Home Premium aren't you? If so, go to control panel > anytime upgrade and choose Professional. Come back and tell us the current price if you were to purchase it through Microsoft direct. If not, what OS do you currently have running?

Reaction score
they said win 7 pro upgrade would be $89.95
I have win 7 home 64bit on my computer now is that my OS

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes W7 Home Premium 64-bit would be your current OS. How much RAM does the machine have that you plan to upgrade? To run Virtual PC - XP mode It is a good idea to have at least 3GB of RAM. Virtualization also takes a lot of Processing power so for best results upgrade your best (fastest/most processing power) computer.

To use Virtualization you will also need to go into the BIOS and enable Virtualization. Run this Microsoft TOOL to see if your computer supports Virtualization and to see if it is enabled.

Reaction score
it has 4.00GB Ram dual core cpu ES5200 @2.50GHz both my computers have the same, the MB are both Gigabyte one is G31M-ES2l and the other isEP45-UD3P witch would be the best one to use or should get a bigger cpu?

ok the BISO how do I do it

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The current PC should be fine. No I don't think you need to change CPUs.

Did you download & run the Virtualization Testing Tool from Microsoft? Did it say if your computer supports Virtualization and is it enabled in your BIOS?

Reaction score
I wants me to change bing tool bar. it want's me to use IE ,bing tool bar and open up live mail it does not like gmail ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about? I just want you to download the HAV detection tool and run it. It does not have to be downloaded in any specific browser and it has nothing to do with toolbars.

Off-topic: I think toolbars are a nuisance and I would NEVER recommend anyone install extra ones.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you saying you did run the HAV detection tool and it wants you to change your BIOS? That's possible, but it has nothing to do with IE or browser toolbars. If you have to adjust your BIOS settings it means you need to "enable virtualization" within your BIOS settings (usually accessed by hitting F2) as your computer boots fresh from off.

Reaction score
I'm going to try it again today. I'm getting lost what do I change it does not show virtualization to enable ?

Ask a Question