Window 7 bandwith!

Reaction score
I just got win 7, and i am not happy about it. I got Windows 7 Premium and my computer is 64 bit. My old system was Win XP , 32 bit and it was OLD and the dl speed was fast. This time my dl speed is 80-83 KBPS. I wanted to download a game called " Maplestory " that i played in my old PC. It only took 3 hours so im probably predicitng 150~ KBPS. IT TAKES ME 6+ HOURS TO DOWNLOAD ON WINDOWS 7. WHAT IS WRONG? :(

Screenshot of my performance data.

I use a wire connected to my modem with a router and share internet connections with family (3) people total.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Runxfighter2,

Your slow download speed is most likely not being caused by your new Win7 OS, but rather, the ISP service that your family has (which could be experiencing some service issues that may be causing the slowdown), along with the fact that three people are all sharing the same amount of bandwidth allocated from your internet provider, which can also contribute to slower internet performance for everyone.

You could either wait until later to try your download again, when you are the only one online, or if you still believe there is a major issue, you should contact your ISP service and ask them to run a diagnostic test on your modem, as they can malfunction and affect bandwidth.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In general it is not the OS that would make your internet connection slow. It depends primarily on your ISP and your available bandwidth for upload and for download. Cable connections are generally fastest but vary greatly depending on how much bandwidth you neighbors are using at the time; DSL is slower; and dial-up is extremely slow.

Some issues that ARE under your control are things like the packet-size. Files are broken up into "packets" of information and encoded with a checksum; when that packet gets to your computer, it the checksum doesn't match then it needs corrected or retransmitted - lots of retransmissions may make it seem like your connection is slow but really it is transferring data but it had to resend the same packet 3 or 4 times. To tweak these settings you might try the freeware tool from speedguide: SG TCP Optimizer. You may find that if you use the optimal settings in the general and advanced tabs you may notice slight improvement.

Reaction score
i tried autotuning=disabled , but it doesn't show a difference at all and also i got dsl. why is it that i download a game that takes 3 hours but now its 6. thats the problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you run TCPOptimizer, first make sure your connection speed is set properly, it should be automatic but if it appears way off then adjust it (this is the speed in mega/kilo-bits per second that you have contracted with your ISP, for instance dial-up is the bottom 56 kbps). If you have two network connections, such as a lan line or a wireless adapter, then make sure the right adapter is selected. Then at the bottom it should be on "current", click "optimal" instead and "apply changes". Next click the Advanced Settings tab at the top. At the bottom again change "current" to "optimal" and "apply changes". Then reboot your computer.

As I said this may help a little bit but your results will still vary depending on your ISP and often with the time of day because of varying usages or even because your ISP may actively throttle some connections.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know if this would apply to you or not. You stated that your computer is wired, so that's why I'm making this suggestion.

Time Warner replaced my ancient wireless router last week, with a wired one (RCA DCM425). The technician asked me which computer did I want to router to go to, I said my desktop. The service is excellent, I have no gripes.

But when I tried to run my notebook through that same connection, using three different versions of Windows & one version of Linux (Mint 9), I cannot get it to connect, no matter how much troubleshooting I do. It reports a signal, that's as far as I can go.

You're now using a different computer as well. Do you still have the "old" one? If so, try plugging it into the router and see what happens. If all is well, you may need to give your ISP a call. Some routers are configured to recognize the MAC address of the installed computer, if you try to install another one, it may not work at all, or not properly.

Also, you could have an old router that's not fully compatible with Windows 7. If your ISP provided it, they're responsible for making everything work right.

And Welcome to the forum, Runxfighter2! I forgot my manners. Hopefully, you'll get your issue solved soon, if you haven't already.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, his computer does connect he just feels it is slower.

As for you Cat, Is your box a real router with multiple RS232 port connections or is it a simple one connection router modem (just curious, it doesn't effect the rest of my post)? It is possible to enter a specific mac address of the computer into the routers I have used (Linksys & Belkin) - it is a very secure method, especially effective for wireless, because it will limit connections to only those computers listed and even though you are now wired, it makes me wonder if that is what they did to yours. It could explain why your laptop can't connect. Whether that is what is causing it or not, I would contact your ISP and tell them you need to be able to plug in either computer.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My modem is a one connection one (RCA DCM425) and I've learned that if you want to install a different computer from the installed one, you have to "spoof" the MAC address of the other one to connect. I have a borrowed connection, as long as I don't hog it from my landlord.

When I buy another notebook, I'll buy a new wireless router, but only locally, because if my desktop drops in speed at all from where it is now, I'll return it for a full refund. I understand that if I have both devices running, it'll slow, but if only the desktop is running, I better be getting a 920KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec on downloads. I've bitched and raised hell with my ISP for months to get my speed to par, and now that I have it, no wireless crap is going to slow it down.

Time Warner does carry wireless modems now for notebooks now, so I may look into that when I buy another one. But at any rate, I will not sacrifice the speed that I have now just to run a notebook on. Never.

Cat

Reaction score
The optimizer i chose 56 KB/PS option. But my download speed is 80-95 KBPS so should i choose the 100 KBPS since its DSL. I didn't choose that because i didn't have that kind of speed.

Reaction score
What ddoes it change? Will it affect my downlaod speed if possible? Or just my performance?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's main purpose is to minimize lost packets which force retransmissions. Hopefully downloads will appear to finish faster. It's no guarantee, just try it, it sure won't hurt.

Reaction score
Hello Runxfighter2,

When I used the TCP Optimizer, I selected the "Optimal" settings choice, although after it finished reconfiguring a few of my settings, I really didn't notice any detectable change in data transmission, let alone download speed, but a lot of people like to use this program, so I tried it as well, just to see if would make a difference, which it didn't.

You could also visit SpeedGuide.net and click on the TCP/IP Analyzer link found in the dropdown menu under the Broadband tab - Broadband Tools - SG TCP/IP Analyzer.

When you click on that link, it will display your IP address, along with a plethora of detailed information and tweaking suggestions that may improve your overall broadband speed, although again, I feel that most of your problems can be attributed directly to your ISP either limiting download speeds for some reason, or they are simply having server issues that you are unaware of, plus your collective family bandwidth usage will impact download performance. You should contact your ISP and talk to someone about your recent download issues, just to see what advice they can offer to you.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TCPOptimizerGeneral.jpg TCPOptimizerAdvanced.jpg

Windows uses a default setting; depending how close this is do your actual values you will see little to no improvement. The people that would see the most help are likely at the slower end of the spectrum and less reliable connections (more line noise causing bad packets) .

Reaction score
Ok. I have chosen the "optimal option" and have currently noticed no difference once so ever. And no, they aren't using the computer. If they do it will majorly lower the download speed. So when i use my computer alone, i get 90-100 KBPS (Around there).

P.S : When i finally apply changes for both sections ( General+Advanced) , i reboot, then after that when i log on i get the sg_backup and FirstBackup files the ending are .spg
What would happen if i delete them ?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Use these recommended tweaks for Windows 7 from SpeedGuide.net. I use them all the time and they work! Go through each one and set it. Then close your browser and re-open it and go to: www.dslreports.com and then go to the Tweak Tester in the Tools section and see how things look.

Windows Vista introduces a number of new features to the TCP/IP stack, including CTCP, and TCP Window Auto-Tuning. This new implementation works much better by default than previous Windows versions with broadband internet connections, and is able to adjust the RWIN value on the fly, depending on the BDP (bandwidth-delay product). This, however, introduces some problems with older routers and restricts the user from tweaking some of the TCP/IP parameters. Still, there is always some room for improvement, and this article explains the known tweakable TCP/IP parameters.
To enter some of the commands below, you will need to run "elevated" command prompt. To do so, click the Start icon > Run > type: cmd , then click CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. Alternatively, you can navigate to Start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click Command Prompt and choose "Run as Administrator".

Check the TCP/IP state
To check the current status of the Vista TCP/IP tweakable parameters, in elevated command prompt type the following command:
netsh int tcp show global
You will be presented with something like the following:

The settings, as well as their default and recommended state are explained below. The two most important tweakable parameters are "Auto-Tuning Level" and "Congestion Control Provider".
When checking the TCP state with the "netsh int tcp show global" command, it is also possible to see the following message below all those parameters:
** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.
It is displayed when the "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level" is not explicitly set, or if the system deemed it necessary to make a change because of user prompted "repairing" of your network connection, for example.

Disable Windows Scaling heuristics
Windows Vista/7 has the ability to automatically change its own TCP Window auto-tuning behavior to a more conservative state regardless of any user settings. It is possible for Windows to override the autotuninlevel even after an user sets their custom TCP auto-tuning level. When that behavior occurs, the "netsh int tcp show global" command displays the following message:
** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics
overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.
To prevent that behavior and enforce any user-set TCP Window auto-tunning level, you should execute the following command:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
possible settings are: disabled,enabled,default (sets to the Windows default state)
recommended: disabled (to retain user-set auto-tuning level)
Note this should be executed in elevated command prompt (with admin priviledges) before setting the autotuninlevel in next section. If the command is accepted by the OS you will see an "Ok." on a new line.
The corresponding Registry value (not necessary to edit if setting via netsh) is located in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters
EnableWsd=0
(default: 1, recommended: 0)

TCP Auto-Tuning
To turn off the default RWIN auto tuning behavior, (in elevated command prompt) type:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
The default auto-tuning level is "normal", and the possible settings for the above command are:
disabled: uses a fixed value for the tcp receive window. Limits it to 64KB (limited at 65535).
highlyrestricted: allows the receive window to grow beyond its default value, very conservatively
restricted: somewhat restricted growth of the tcp receive window beyond its default value
normal: default value, allows the receive window to grow to accommodate most conditions
experimental: allows the receive window to grow to accommodate extreme scenarios (not recommended, it can degrade performance in common scenarios, only intended for research purposes. It enables RWIN values of over 16 MB)
Our recommendation: normal (unless you're experiencing problems).
If you're experiencing problems with your NAT router or SPI firewall, try the "restricted", "highlyrestricted", or even "disabled" state.
Notes:
- Reportedly, some older residential NAT routers with a SPI firewall may have problems with enabled tcp auto-tuning in it's "normal" state, resulting in slow speeds, packet loss, reduced network performance in general.
- auto-tuning also causes problems with really old routers that do not support TCP Windows scaling. See
MSKB 935400
- netsh set commands take effect immediately after executing, there is no need to reboot.
- sometimes when using "normal" mode and long lasting connections (p2p software / torrents), tcp windows can get very large and consume too much resources, if you're experiencing problems try a more conservative (restricted) setting.

If you're experiencing problems with Auto-Tuning, see also:
MS KB 835400 - email issues
MS KB 934430 - network connectivity behind firewall problems
MS KB 940646 - 3G WWAN throughput issues
MS KB 929868 - web browsing issues
MS KB 932170 - slow network file transfer

Compound TCP - Improve throughput
Add-On Congestion Control Provider
The traditional slow-start and congestion avoidance algorithms in TCP help avoid network congestion by gradually increasing the TCP window at the beginning of transfers until the TCP Receive Window boundary is reached, or packet loss occurs. For broadband internet connections that combine high TCP Window with higher latency (high BDP), these algorithms do not increase the TCP windows fast enough to fully utilize the bandwidth of the connection.
Compound TCP (CTCP) is a newer method, available in Vista and Server 2008 (there is also a hotfix available for XP/2003). CTCP increases the TCP send window more aggressively for broadband connections (with large RWIN and BDP). CTCP attempts to maximize throughput by monitoring delay variations and packet loss. It also ensures that its behavior does not impact other TCP connections negatively.
By default, Vista and Windows 7 have CTCP turned off, it is only on by default under Server 2008. Turning this option on can significantly increase throughput.
To enable CTCP, in elevated command prompt type:
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
To disable CTCP:
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=none
Possible options are: ctcp, none, default (restores the system default value).
Recommended setting: ctcp
It is better to use this newer generation CTCP congestion control algorithm for most broadband connections, we highly recommend it being turned on.

ECN Capability
ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification, RFC 3168) is a mechanism that provides routers with an alternate method of communicating network congestion. It is aimed to decrease retransmissions. In essence, ECN assumes that the cause of any packet loss is router congestion. It allows routers experiencing congestion to mark packets and allow clients to automatically lower their transfer rate to prevent further packet loss. Traditionally, TCP/IP networks signal congestion by dropping packets. When ECN is successfully negotiated, an ECN-aware router may set a bit in the IP header (in the DiffServ field) instead of dropping a packet in order to signal congestion. The receiver echoes the congestion indication to the sender, which must react as though a packet drop were detected.
ECN is disabled by default in Vista and other modern TCP/IP implementations, as it is possible that it may cause problems with some outdated routers that drop packets with the ECN bit set, rather than ignoring the bit. To check whether your router supports ECN, you can use the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool. The results will be displayed under "Traffic Congestion Test".
To enable ECN, in elevated command prompt type:
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
Possible settings are: enabled, disabled, default (restores the state to the system default).
The default state is: disabled
Recommendation: enabled (only for short-lived, interactive connections and HTTP requests with routers that support it, in the presense of congestion/packet loss), disabled otherwise (for pure bulk throughput with large TCP Window, no regular congestion/packet loss, or outdated routers without ECN support).
Notes: ECN is only effective in combination with AQM (Active Queue Management) router policy. It has more noticeable effect on performance with interactive connections and HTTP requests, in the presense of router congestion/packet loss. Its effect on bulk throughput with large TCP Window are less clear.
More information on ECN: Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for TCP/IP

RSS - Receive-side Scaling
The receive-side scaling setting enables parallelized processing of received packets on multiple processors, while avoiding packet reordering. It avoids packet reordering y separating packets into "flows", and using a single processor for processing all the packets for a given flow. Packets are separated into flows by computing a hash value based on specific fields in each packet, and the resulting hash values are used to select a processor for processing the flow. This approach ensures that all packets belonging to a given TCP connection will be queued to the same processor, in the same order that they were received by the network adapter.
To set RSS:
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
Possible rss settings are: disabled, enabled, default (restores rss state to the system default).
Default state is: enabled
Recommended: enabled (if you have 2 or more processor cores and a NIC that can handle RSS)

TCP Chimney Offload
TCP chimney offload enables Windows to offload all TCP processing for a connection to a network adapter. Offloads are initiated on a per-connection basis. Compared to task offload, TCP chimney offload further reduces networking-related CPU overhead, enabling better overall system performance by freeing up CPU time for other tasks.
To set TCP Chimney Offload:
netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled

Default state: disabled (under Vista), automatic (under Windows 7 and 2008 Server)
Recommended: enabled
The possible states are disabled, enabled, default (Vista), automatic (only Windows 7 and 2008 Server) as follows:
automatic - This default setting is only available under Windows 7 and 2008 Server, it is not available udner Vista. It offloads if the connection is 10 GbE, has a RTT < 20ms, and the connection has exchanged at least 130KB of data. The device driver must also have TCP Chimney enabled.
default - this setting restores chimney offload to the system default. Setting this "default" state under Windows 7 and 2008 Server is possible, but it sets the system to the "automatic" mode described above.
disabled - this setting is maually configured as disabled.
enabled - this setting is manually configured as enabled.
Notes:
Under Windows 7 and Server 2008 the "default" and the additional "automatic" parameter set the system to the same "automatic" state.
For Chimney Offload to work, it needs to be enabled in both the OS and NIC. To enable the "TCP Offloading" setting in your NIC, navigate to the Device Manager, under Network Adapters, in the Advanced tab, and check "Enabled" in the box next to the TCP offload entry.

Direct Cache Access (DCA)
Windows 7 and 2008 Server (but not Vista) add NETDMA 2.0 Direct cache access support. Direct Cache Access (DCA) allows a capable I/O device, such as a network controller, to deliver data directly into a CPU cache. The objective of DCA is to reduce memory latency and the memory bandwidth requirement in high bandwidth (Gigabit) environments. DCA requires support from the I/O device, system chipset, and CPUs.
To enable DCA:
netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled

Available states are: enabled, disabled.
Default state: disabled
Recommended: enabled (provided the CPU/Chipset/NIC support it)
It is also possible to enable this setting by editing the Windows Registry instead of using netsh as follow
The above is an excellent tweaking guide!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most, if not all of the items Nib listed are what the TCPOptimizer tool tweaks.

As was mentioned early on W7 vs XP has little to nothing to do with how fast your ISP connection is; the only possibility that came to mind was packet loss and you have indicated tweaking packet size has not helped so you are back to it being your Internet provider. You might contact them as see if they can upgrade your service to a faster upload/download; where I am I pay an extra US$15 a month for the highest tier DSL. Perhaps such an option is available to you. Also, some ISPs specifically limit speeds from sites such as Hotfile, megaupload, etc; this is called throttling and it sucks but your only option is generally to change ISPs.

If you can hook an XP machine and show a significantly higher speedtest than with your W7 machine please show us screen-shots, otherwise I have to assume it is your ISP limiting your bandwidth.

EDIT: I still believe it is your ISP connection BUT another thing came to mind, an improperly configured router & firewall could hurt transmissions; the only effect I have noticed of this is in torrent transmissions like with Bittorrent, Azureus, uTorrent, etc. Basically the problem here is blocked ports and the solution is port-forwarding and setting up your router for a static IP. To adjust the router you need access to the actual device; if you have a combination modem/router from your ISP then they would need to supply you the password or try a common default of 1234. Anyone who tries changing this should make careful note of the original settings; it is extremely easy to mess something up and loose connectivity. In which case your ISP may be able to walk you through fixing it on the phone, or they may charge you to either send a person to correct the problem or you may have to mail them the device and wait for a replacement. HERE is some information on port-forwarding; the info is free but they want to sell you software to do it for you. NOTE you will need to set up a static IP so follow that information first (see HERE). And then you need to open the ports in your firewall.

Last edited:

Ask a Question