Window 7 bandwith!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, but TCP Optimizer sometimes will incorrectly tweak the settings whereas these give you more control of each setting.

Also what I suggest doing is turning off the computer, the router and the modem. Then turn on the modem first and let it sit and settle in for a couple of minutes, then turn of the router and let it sit and settle in for a couple of minutes and then turn on the computer. This MAY help but it's not a guaranteed solution, but I know having done it in the past personally it has worked and helped to improve the overall speeds.

Also go to: www.speedtest.net and run it connecting to the closest server to your geographical location and see what results you get. Do the same with: www.pingtest.net and see how your ping is too.

It just may be server issues you're having and nothing to do with your overall ISP speeds, but doing both of the above tests will help to verify any suspicions you may have.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some of us, like cat and myself have a combined modem/router; I can't power them separately.

And TCPOptimizer IS from the people at SpeedGuide. So sure you can adjust the items individually but for the average user TCPOptimizer is probably as close or closer than they will achieve trying to tweak it on their own. Pick your contracted speed, select optimize, hit apply changes, done.

Reaction score
Ok. When i finally apply changes for both sections ( General+Advanced) , i reboot, then after that when i log on i get the sg_backup and FirstBackup files the ending are .spg. What would happen if i delete them?
Both files are backup copies of your internet settings before you tweaked them with the TCP/IP Optimizer program. The "FirstBackup.spg" file contains your original settings. Any other ".spg" file that is automatically generated will contain any other tweaks that you may decide to make after the first time that you use the program.

Basically, any time you use the TCP/IP program to tweak settings, it will automatically create a backup file with the ".spg" extension.

I only save the initial "FirstBackup" spg file that is generated, as I know that if I get a little too enthusiastic about tweaking and it causes connection issues, I can always revert back to the original internet settings that were on my system before I made any changes. To each his own though. You may wish to keep all spg backup files, but at the very least, I would highly recommend that you keep the "FirstBackup.spg file in a safe place, just in case you ever need to restore your original settings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also what I suggest doing is turning off the computer, the router and the modem. Then turn on the modem first and let it sit and settle in for a couple of minutes, then turn of the router and let it sit and settle in for a couple of minutes and then turn on the computer. This MAY help but it's not a guaranteed solution, but I know having done it in the past personally it has worked and helped to improve the overall speeds.
I agree. I also go through the very same startup process, whereby I always turn on my wireless modem/router (they're combined) and let it run through its diagnostics and fully initialize before I power up my desktop.

This procedure, which I thought was a little unconventional, does seem to improve my connection speed and I decided to do it that way ever since I switched over to DSL. Interesting to read that someone else on this forum does the exact same ritual and sees similar positive results.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course it could be the problem! Any time you change your modem, you are subject to new issues that were not present before. Modems are a lot like people - quirky and unpredictable at times. Try connecting your old modem again, just to see if it alleviates your download issues. If it does, you may want to revert back to it, or buy another modem.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
could the problem be that i changed my modem ?
That's a BIG 10-4!

Turn off the modem and press the little reset button on the back of the router with a pen, pencil or whatever and hold that button down for at least 5 seconds and then let it sit for a minute. Turn off the router then and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Then do as I said above in the previous post and see what happens now.

Ask a Question