Win7 lockups -- hotfix not working

Reaction score
For the past while, I've been having an issue with constant lockups in Windows 7 64-bit. I've already determined that it isn't my RAM or CPU, and concluded it must be the OS itself. So after doing some research, I figured out the most likely cause of my freezing issue is this right here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2575077

I've checked the file in question (fltmgr.sys) and it is out of date, but the hotfix constantly says "This update is not applicable for your computer", even though it is the correct version of the hotfix. So what I want to know is, is there any way I can force it to work, and update that file?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe the update installer would know best as to whether it applies so I do not know of not would I recommend you continue to pursue forcing its' install.

Better to look for other possibilities...

What makes you think that is your problem? How much RAM do you have? and what programs are running when it crashes/locks up?

Do you get a bluescreen or does your computer just freeze up?

Have you scanned for viruses from safe mode? If not, please do so as explained at the start on my post >>HERE<<.

What is the make/model of your computer or if custom then the make/model of your motherboard & video card? Have you upgraded to Windows 7 Service Pack 1?

Reaction score
I believe the update installer would know best as to whether it applies so I do not know of not would I recommend you continue to pursue forcing its' install.

Better to look for other possibilities...

What makes you think that is your problem? How much RAM do you have? and what programs are running when it crashes/locks up?

Do you get a bluescreen or does your computer just freeze up?

Have you scanned for viruses from safe mode? If not, please do so as explained at the start on my post >>HERE<<.

What is the make/model of your computer or if custom then the make/model of your motherboard & video card? Have you upgraded to Windows 7 Service Pack 1?
I wouldn't be posting this message if I hadn't checked all of this already. Hardware diagnostics come up clean, Spybot and Avast come up with negative results both in Safe Mode and in standard mode, and no other solution works. The hotfix is the answer, but the error message it displays is incorrect. A cursory search also reveals that this is a common problem for people experiencing the Win7 lockup issue. The hotfix does work for those who get it to work, but for others, the error message displayed is random and incorrect, and leaves many without the means to fix their OS.

Or to put it another way, I'm not looking for help with my freezing issue. I already know how to fix it, but the tool I'm supposed to use isn't working, and that's what I need help with.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then you probably need to follow the caveat on the hotfix page:
Microsoft said:
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Reaction score
Then you probably need to follow the caveat on the hotfix page:
I would love to, but I unfortunately just don't have the money for that right now. All I need to know is how to get the dll repaired and in working order. I would appreciate no more alternate solutions. I know how to get it taken care of if it doesn't work. All I need is that functioning dll, please.

If you know how to repair the dll, I would appreciate you telling me. I have backups in case it does not work. My data and important files are also all backed up. If you don't know how, then please let me know so I can seek other avenues of support. Thank you.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have no idea.

If you have a valid W7 license then it should be free as long as you limit your help to that specific hotfix.

Ask a Question