Win7 random lockups

Reaction score
Hi, I have tried just about everything to resolve lockups with win7 32 ultimate.
I'll explain what I have done to date.
I built my computer a year ago and have since experienced random lockup problems, anywhere between POST and after windows boot completion. I would sometimes run the computer all day without a problem which makes finding the service, program etc that is causing the lockups that much harder to find.
I have changed the mainboard, all 4gigs of ram, PSU from 650w to 1000w thinking I had a power problem, no change, reseated the cpu, have a huge fan and cooler installed with good heat extraction system, updated all the hardware drivers, latest MB chipset and bios, tried another graphics card and removed my SB X-Fi thinking that might have been a problem, no change. I installed the latest bios update(tried earlier updates with no success) that locked up the bios while browsing around in there. I hit F9 to load defaults then saved settings... was lucky to get those two key strokes in.
Previous versions of bios allowed browsing but during the boot process would always recieve a bios error "The system has detected unsuccessful boot attempts" and requires a bios reset. I have tried selecting bios defaults and saving, no change. I notice that the bios finds my ram to be of 1333mhz, timing 9-9-9-24 which is correct but displays the voltage as 1.54 which is incorrect as the Micron ram requires a 1.50 v setting. I recieve different readings from the bios with the different bios flashing I have tried, including the latest win7 bios update which I am currently using but just does not work properly due to recieving incorrect ram voltages among other variables.
I wrote to Intel about the bios problem but havent to date received a response.
I have just reinstalled the OS with minimum drivers and after installing the windows updates, I had another lockup during the boot. I am beginning to think that Win7 has issues that Microsoft needs to address.
Any takes on all this?. I really would appreciate some expert help, thanks people.

Config:

Intel Extreme DX48BT2 mainboard socket LGA775
Intel Core2 extreme X9770 @ 3.2ghz cpu
4gigs - Micron MT16JTF25664AY-1G4BYES 2 GB 1333 9-9-9 Non-ECC
Corsair 1000w PSU
Sounblaster X-FI sound card
Nvidia geforce 9800 gtx+
NZXT atx case.

Reaction score
Hey...

No, Windows 7 has no issues of the sort or even close.

Your machine has issues if you have problems "anywhere between POST and after windows boot completion."

You can test the memory overnight with Memtest86+. When errors show, you can then go ahead and purchase new memory to install as replacement.

Many times, it's necessary to isolate the module with others removed while testing, to find errors.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Torrentg. I have done almost everything you can imagine, run tests on the new ram as well as on the mb etc. I have replaced everything in the case. I have run diagnostic software to isolate problems but it found nothing. You just have to browse online to see the many people that suffer win7 issues.

Reaction score
Right, out of millions of Windows 7 copies, there are going to be hardware problems or faulty drivers installed. The only 2 causes for Win7 failing.

If you'd like, you can type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save om the opened screen. Zip the saved file and attach to a post.

But again, if you have a problem near post, you have a hardware issue.

If you've ever had bsod, see the sticky thread in this section, about how to post those.

Reaction score
Indeed, I understand. Please find attached the msinfo32 generated file. You might find some lockups that occured with a hl game I used for testing but fixed those with installing directx, physX and the latest nvidia driver. The lockups whilst not running the game still exist.

Attachments

Reaction score
I am a bit shocked to hear that NAV might be a concern here. Nortons were the very first, to my knowledge, to bring out an AV package back in the old XT days. I have tried many of the top AV apps only to find that NAV was the only package that has been rock solid, but I will do as you have advised and reluctantly remove it in hope that it will be the end of my problems.
I ran Intel's driver updater and it did not find any drivers that required updating.
I will now remove the NAV internet software and see what happens. I will run the computer off line for a few days or until it locks up again. Thanks so much for your time and help. I will reply with the results as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Norton's marketing somehow convinces people that their products aren't worse than actual malware. That's my take on it.

Reaction score
Win7 Lockups

Hi Torrentg, I removed the nav with the removal tool last night, rebooted and the computer locked up again on completion of win startup. It was a total lockup where pressing ctrl-alt-del had no affect so had to hit the reset button. Since then the computer has been ok. I will run it all weekend to make sure. Could you recommend an effective av package that works well with win7?. Will appreciate that very much thanks.

Reaction score
Win7 lockups

I forgot to mention that I run nav on my laptop without problems. Is it due to the small form factor?.
I am also running pc tools spyware doctor and malwarebytes. WIll running all these with nav cause problems as well?.
Also, I'm not sure what to do about the lockups in browsing the bios that exist with using the latest bios update. Only a few key strokes cause a total lockup. Any idea what I could do to remedy that?.

Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure what to do about the lockups in browsing the bios that exist with using the latest bios update. Only a few key strokes cause a total lockup. Any idea what I could do to remedy that?.
Already covered that too, in my first post of the thread.

I forgot to mention that I run nav on my laptop without problems. Is it due to the small form factor?
It's due to Norton being king of junk anywhere you install it. Freezing or not.

Reaction score
Ok, got it. I would never have believed it but it seems as though you might be correct in your assumption that the nav is junk, the comp is still working ok but we'll have to see. I think the lockups in the bios is caused from an erroneous bios update and something I will have to live with I guess, as long as the computer is running ok right?.
Its great to find people on here such as yourself that is experienced. I have been on many other forums with no luck so mega thanks for your help. I will leave the thread open until monday for the test run.

Ask a Question