SOLVED Win7 or PC Component Failure

Reaction score
T
his AM 3/24/18 my spouse tried to start the PC, the mouse wouldn't work so she forced shutdown, then a restart several times, still no mouse. Sometimes she got a Black screen or it would get to the Windows Logo but go no further I came home after a call & I plugged my Notebook Mouse in and as usual it would work although sometimes responded slowly. I looked at the Desktop to see what was there & I see my Backup (F) drive shortcut is there but tells me it isn't working so I checked in Device Mngr & it doesn't show. The (F) HD has all my files like Word, Excel etc. Everything is stored there with any file I want to keep as I only use my (C) for that just the OSP & programs.

Now this installation was only done about 3 weeks ago with a clean load of Win7. I have noticed some issues since installation. I did try the "Repair" disc I had created and I think the Win7 disc also but as far as I can tell that did nothing. So can I run Win7 again to fix this issue, will it even overwrite anything that is corrupt or missing something? I have noticed at times lately it responds slowly or I have to use Control, Alt, Delete often to close a program as Explorer or the program stopped working & it is difficult to at times even get that to work & shut the program down. If I were to run Win 7 would it wipe out everything on the C Drive.
Note: When I reload Windows I always unplug the (F) drive so the system doesn't mess with it then after all is done I plug it back in.

Is there a WIn7 SP2 or something that might help in not getting 196 updates at one time, I do have SP 1 installed.

I looked at Reliability History & see problems just about very day since installation of Win7 on 3/8, I have listed between 3/8 to 3/24, 3, 11, 10, 4, 1, 17, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2 & 3 today. That would seem to me to be a lot of errors

Don't know if this has anything to do with it the above or it is a separate issue.

I seem to have a lot of Failed updates for Win 7 and on 3/22 I had about 196 updates that showed up, I do not allow Windows to automatically install them just notify me so I can decide when to do it. Below I pasted some examples of this. I have only pasted a portion of the info from the history.

Seems to be a lot of failures
3/8/2018
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2862152)
Installation date: ‎3/‎8/‎2018 2:20 PM Installation status: Failed.
Error details: Code 800705B4

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2868038)
Installation date: ‎3/‎8/‎2018 2:46 PM Installation status: Failed

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3013531)
Installation date: ‎3/‎8/‎2018 2:57 PM Installation status: Failed
On 3/22 an update came in with 196 updates and just a few were successful and just a few were successful, my guess out of 196 about 90% showed cancelled with 10% successful or Failed. The only reason I noticed this is after the above problem this AM I looked for issues & checked the download history & found this information. I seem to see quite a few failures when I install downloads, is this normal? I looked just now and I have 169 updates with 11 optional probably the failures or cancels from the 22nd.

3/22/2018
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2834140)
Installation date: ‎3/‎22/‎2018 9:33 PM Installation status: Successful

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3184143)
Installation date: ‎3/‎22/‎2018 9:34 PM Installation status: Canceled
Error details: Code 8024000B

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3161102)
Installation date: ‎3/‎22/‎2018 9:33 PM Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 800F0902

Can I overwrite or do I reinstall after a format? Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No there is not an SP2 so unfortunately you have years of updates.

Some of the Windows Update fails may be perfectly normal. For example KB3184143 is an update to remove the old notice to download Win10. Since Win10 isn't free any more that notice update likely never got installed so you don't need the one to remove the notice either. And KB3161102 is to remove the Windows Journal Component which is now considered a security risk but if you don't have that then you wouldn't need to remove it. If it is constantly trying to load updates you don't need (research the KB# to see) then manually go to Control Panel>Windows Update, get the list of available updates, right-click on them & choose HIDE UPDATE

You can install in place w/o formatting & it should simply overwrite the system files.

As for her mouse not working, since it does work with yours plugged in, it is likely a hardware issue; what happens if you plug her mouse into your computer or even try a different USB port on hers?

Reaction score
Hi,
For the mouse issue, I suggest you to update BIOS and I/O drivers. If still it doesn't work, then check with an external mouse whether its working or not.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A87/HelpDesk_Download/
Also check whether the same issue is occurring in Safe Mode. If NOT, its definitely software issue.
You can reinstall Win 7 again, but it will wipe out the data. If possible you can take a backup of all the files and then perform re-installation or you can also try connecting the hard drive to a different computer to access the F drive (If possible)
If this is not possible another solution that I can give is perform re-installation and then perform recovery of files using recovery software. But after re-installation you should not perform further operations, there are chances where data may get over-written.
Recuva is free software that I can recommend for this case. Since it is a free software it may not dig deep as other paid software do. So what I recommend is use Recuva 1st and recover maximum files possible. If you are not satisfied with Recuva, you can use other software like Remo recover or Recover my files.
https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
https://www.remosoftware.com/unformat-ntfs-windows-7

Reaction score
No there is not an SP2 so unfortunately you have years of updates.

Some of the Windows Update fails may be perfectly normal. For example KB3184143 is an update to remove the old notice to download Win10. Since Win10 isn't free any more that notice update likely never got installed so you don't need the one to remove the notice either. And KB3161102 is to remove the Windows Journal Component which is now considered a security risk but if you don't have that then you wouldn't need to remove it. If it is constantly trying to load updates you don't need (research the KB# to see) then manually go to Control Panel>Windows Update, get the list of available updates, right-click on them & choose HIDE UPDATE

You can install in place w/o formatting & it should simply overwrite the system files.

As for her mouse not working, since it does work with yours plugged in, it is likely a hardware issue; what happens if you plug her mouse into your computer or even try a different USB port on hers?
Your comment "You can install in place w/o formatting and it should simply overwrite the system files," is that install or reinstall Win7 or are you referring to installing Win 10 over the existing Win7? If I put the Win7 disc in and Install Win7 again overwriting the system files, does that wipe out all the Browsers (3), MS Office Word & Excel or other programs I have installed including nstallation of my Video and Audio cards software that I have done after Win7 installation and would I have to reinstall all those programs again?

The mouse issue is resolved

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You mentioned you did an install of Win 7 3 weeks ago, but already notice "issues". I was simply saying you should be able to reinstall Win 7 right overtop of that. And a reinstall in place wouldn't actually wipe out any software you installed; it simply overwrites the system files.

But your issues are less likely a problem with Win7 & more likely issues with drivers, so I would make sure you have the latest drivers for Win 7 installed for all the components in your computer, not just video & audio.

Reaction score
I believe you had suggested driver update to another question I had so I have updated all the drivers & it seems to be running w/o problems. I really asked the question in case I needed to reinstall "ever" as I wasn't sure after that I understood your response. You have clarified it to me, Thanks again. This will close this question.

Ask a Question